Help me save money please!

Last Updated:

1. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys, here is my situation. I am on a Family Share Plan with my girlfriend. I have the Incredible and she has the enV 2. We have the lowest plan which is 700 shared minutes & unlimited texting for $90.

I obviously have the $30 data plan tacked on to that for my phone, she doesn't use data, just texting. I have 20% off my monthly fees through my employer.

With that being said, I have a Google Voice account. I already saved myself $2.99 per month by removing Verizon's Visual Voicemail. I am using Google Voice for that.

I understand that I can also do my texting for free through it? I would love to do that as it would probably save me about $20 per month.

But here is where my main question is. How about my girlfriend? With her enV 2, is there any way to do texting through Google Voice if I got her an account somehow? What are my options? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. knowsomething

knowsomething Active Member

No. To connect to google voice your girlfriend would need a data plan, at the minimum it would be 9.99 for 25mb. If she texts a lot, you would likely want to go to the unlimited plan which of course is 30.00. So no, now what you could do is take off unlimited text messaging from your plan which is an extra 20 and just put a smaller package on your girls phone depending on how much messaging she uses. Theres packgages ranging from 2.99-20.00

WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
  3. knowsomething

knowsomething Active Member

Or you could just keep paying the 20.00 and not have to worry about any extra charges or suprises. I would say atleast once a day I speak to someone who tried to save 10-20 dollars a month with 400-500 dollars in overages. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

4. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Bear in mind, GVoice only does SMS texting... If you drop the VZW plan you get no MMS support.

Not sure if that matters to you or not, but worth considering.

Here is a way to supposedly SMS from any phone, which is what she would need: How to SMS with Google Voice from Any Mobile Phone

EDIT: With the option linked, she'd still need an SMS plan though...

5. teslas123

teslas123 Member

I know for single plans - the 10 dollar text plan gives you unlimited mobile to mobile texts - i assume within verizon network only? Perhaps this works for family plans as well?

6. WizeGuyDezignz

Thanks all for the replies! Since we text a lot, and I do MMS texting, I think I might just keep paying the $20.

On another note, when she sends a MMS, does that eat data or just a text message? What are the chances that we get big overages if she sends a lot of pics?

7. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

... was wrong

8. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

MMS doesn't count against data. You'll only pay if you are over limit or in an extended area (e.g. data roaming).

9. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member

yes. google allows forwarding texts to emails, and then when u reply to the email it goes back to the texter as a text. if she has data, she can fall back on email like that.

10. teslas123

teslas123 Member

MMS would fall under the unlimited mobile to mobile 10/month plan that I mentioned earlier. You may want to look into it.

11. WizeGuyDezignz

12. WizeGuyDezignz

Mobile to mobile within Verizon only?

13. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

lol i said something it got corrected, so wiped what i said :0, was about mms being data based, :) but i was wrong

14. wannainc

wannainc Well-Known Member

If you have Qwest, unsure if it's where you're located...you can have them combine your Verizon bill onto Qwest and save $10 a month...just for having them bill you on your Qwest bill:)

15. WizeGuyDezignz

What is Qwest? I live in San Diego, CA. Thanks!

16. kriswknight

kriswknight Well-Known Member

How many minutes do you use? You may also be able to get into a "loyalty 550". You would have to add a messaging package and data onto it, but it could save some cash. Call your local VZW store and ask about it.

17. wannainc

wannainc Well-Known Member

Qwest is a phone company...they also do cable..I'm sure if you havent heard it you probably dont have it but maybe worth a try to look it up?:)

18. blkhrt

blkhrt Member

Have her text through smoke signals or morse code.

19. IncrediblyCool

IncrediblyCool Well-Known Member

LOL! :D
    can u still mms through this method?