• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me show up iPhone users!

tree_noob

Feb 4, 2010
So I have the Eris of course, and all my friends have that darn iPhone.

It seems nothing I show them, other than Swype gets them to ooooh or ahhh at my droid. So I'm asking, what do you all show your friends with phones they thing are the best of all time (iphone bandwagoners) that get them all jelous of our android platform?

Any app ideas/screens/tricks/tips would be awsome!

Thanks

Considering the iPhone is way faster and more bug free than the Eris, you're going to have a hard time impressing them. However, I would suggest waiting until you get the 2.1 update. Then you can show them free turn by turn street view navigation. Also, if they're not impressed by the fact that Android can use widgets, I don't know what to tell ya.

Android is still in it's infancy and looks rather primitive compared to the iPhone OS, even with Sense. The fact of the matter is that Apple simply makes the easiest to use devices with the slickest interfaces. Google is not exactly known for either of those. Android is great, but it's no iPhone OS.

BTW, I LOVE my Eris, but I'm not blinded so much that I can't see how great the iPhone really is. And yeah, I agree with the other guys. Why do you need to impress them? You must be in high school I assume. Just enjoy your phone. When I get new phones, I don't even bring it up to any of my friends unless they ask about it. Sometimes I show it off to a good friend of mine who likes technology as much as I do. Not to show off, just to show him some cool stuff that he's interested in. He does the same with me when he gets new stuff. Anyway, there's no reason to brag to anyone.

Upvote 0
Ask them about variety in their phone. If you want Android, you can get one of many phones with many configurations and more are on the way. There is just one iPhone and if you don't like that design, tough.

Truelove...I've messed with the iPhone and I disagree. I suppose that is largely a matter of opinion on it being a better OS. Android may be relatively young, but it was released by one of the most innovative companies in the world.

Upvote 0
I agree.. 3G coverage, Google SkyMap, my People widget and how my contacts are synced with Facebook, the speaker volume, video quality, all my screens, widgets, iMusic, metal dectector, seperate volume settings for everything, removeable battery and storage, physical call/end buttons, wifi tethering app... and not to mention AN OS UPGRADE 6 months later!!!

EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget listening to Scanner Buddy or Pandora while playing Air Control!

Upvote 0
I don't know why people dog on at&t, they do have the faster 3g service, and who cares about some middle of no where coverage. Its not like you need 3g if you ever go there, edge should be fine.

The widgets and google voice and google everything.

It might surprise you but not everyone that has a smartphone lives in a metropolitan area. Some of us that live in rural areas would disagree that there's no need for 3G coverage outside metropolitan areas.

Upvote 0
Some small things that I enjoy showing:
-Changing the background picture
-Only having apps I want on the screen actually on the screen. (one time just for kicks I had nothing on any of my screens, very clean look)
-The ability to customize...just about anything
-3rd party apps for texting and web browsing
-The amount of free apps that are full applications and not some dinky "lite" version

Upvote 0
I dog on AT&T because my friends who have it never seem to get service inside restaurants. They're always waving their iPhones in the air trying to send a text.

Haha I see that all the time here in my apartment complex. All AT&T/Sprint owners have to go outside to the patio to make a call while I'm in the middle of my bedroom chatting it up with 3G and all! HAH

Upvote 0
BTW, I LOVE my Eris, but I'm not blinded so much that I can't see how great the iPhone really is.

It has it's problems as well. For one, the OS isn't really an OS. And the camera sucks, the screen is a bit touchy outdoors (can you say AMOLED?), AT&T sucks. It "optimizes" your photos and pics." Apple has turned into a Mega bully (where did that fun loving hippie go, Stephen?), no SD card, no HD video, stringent control of the video out, AT&T sucks, again AT&T sucks, iTunes only, no Flash support (prolly a good thing though), 3G implementation is slooooooow. camera is awkward to use, no replaceable battery... etc.

Oh yeah, AT&T sucks.

-

Upvote 0
step 1: grab there phone and throw it on the ground
step 2: find the next iphone user thats your friend
step 3: repeat step 1
step 4: once all are broke say look my phone still works urs doesn't

then tell them to STFU. make sure u have bigger muscles than them. also tell them that "iAndroiid" from androidforums.com had his whole htc eris submerged in a giant glass of liquid and waiting 1-2 days and then put a new battery in it and it booted right back up with no problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones