help me understand hotspot / tethering

Last Updated:

1. coolpixer

coolpixer New Member This Topic's Starter

In order to use hotspot a rep tells me I have to sign up for $29/month fee.. it will connect up to 8 devices or so..

I also see peeps tethering their ipad etc. I doubt they are paying the fee

i also hear it will soon be free with an upcoming update?

someone set me straight

thX

Advertisement
  2. myersn024

myersn024 Well-Known Member

Supposedly, Sprint can't stop people from tethering while on the 4G network due to some activation issues that they don't have 100% straight yet. However, they are saying that without paying the fee that they can stop 3G tethering. Some people here have stated that they're able to tether regardless of which network they're on regardless of paying the fee, YMMV. However, regardless of what works and what doesn't right now, I'm fairly certain that Sprint will get it straightened out before too long and those using it without paying will find it inoperable at some point in the future.

For what it's worth, I'm paying the fee and I'm tethering my iPad right now to post this message. If everything works out like I think it will, I'll be canceling my home Internet and just using the phone's hotspot feature.

3. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Alot of 3rd party apps work will with tethering. PDAnet. Just download one of them. Use it, skip the 30 dollar fee.

4. coolpixer

coolpixer New Member This Topic's Starter

thanks guys. great info.

5. bossxii

bossxii Well-Known Member

I live just outside the 4G coverage here in KC. I could not use the wifi hotspot feature in 3G, but it was working in 4G area's. I called Sprint and mentioned that the RS rep said the hotspot feature was available until mid JUly. The rep on the phone had no clue and put me on hold to verify with a supervisor, or anyone that knew. The response was, yes in the 4G areas basically a unclosed loophole was allowing it but this wasn't an official "test drive". I dumped a $60 month card so the $30 fee is a no brainer for me. Even with it my sprint bill is cheaper than the unlimited plan I had with ATT by about $30 or $40 buck, depending on what "taxes and fees" end up.