• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me with a complex profile, please.

Hello you lovely Taskerudites. I have been learning the ins and outs of Tasker with verve and vigor, but alas, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, and it appears that I have bitten off more than I can chew on this profile.

I'm looking to create a profile that plays an alert at midnight every night. If my phone is off silent, but only vibrates and shows a light on my s3 if it is. A dialog box will pop up and ask me "where are you?" and I will write a response into it. It will take this response and send a text message stating "hey honey, I'm staying at (the response) , don't worry about me and I love you."

I travel a lot and my wife gets worried. Is this possible?

Hello you lovely Taskerudites. I have been learning the ins and outs of Tasker with verve and vigor, but alas, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, and it appears that I have bitten off more than I can chew on this profile.

I'm looking to create a profile that plays an alert at midnight every night. If my phone is off silent, but only vibrates and shows a light on my s3 if it is. A dialog box will pop up and ask me "where are you?" and I will write a response into it. It will take this response and send a text message stating "hey honey, I'm staying at (the response) , don't worry about me and I love you."

I travel a lot and my wife gets worried. Is this possible?

you'll want either two profiles each set with a time condition and a variable state (look at the volume variables), or one profile with time state and and if/then/else statement over the volume variables.

the result is the same, the approach is a matter of preference. i like to keep my profiles few and contained, so I'd go for the second approach.

once the profile condition matches, the entry task should set the phone to buzz, play music (or recording of SO's voice) or whatever and after that display an input scene as a dialog.

for the input you'll need a scene with a text input and a send button. on text change event set a global variable to %new_val. on tap of the button, send sms with the value of the global variable and destroy the scene.

easier to do than to explain.

Reactions: superbstevens
Upvote 0
This sounds absolutely awesome, and I am so excited that there is actually a way to do it! That said, I didn't know what most of those words meant, and I'm wondering if there was a way that you could make a significantly more idiot-proof walkthrough. I'm sorry for any inconvenience and I completely understand if you can't.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
This sounds absolutely awesome, and I am so excited that there is actually a way to do it! That said, I didn't know what most of those words meant, and I'm wondering if there was a way that you could make a significantly more idiot-proof walkthrough. I'm sorry for any inconvenience and I completely understand if you can't.
Thank you.

This is quite handy.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/index.html

specifically, read the following, starting with the general sections for each:
contexts (time, state)
variables
tasks (flow control, and in a-z: vibration, play music, send sms)
scenes (general, button, textedit)

Upvote 0
I-love-when-a-plan-comes-together.gif

Roll A-Team theme...

:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones