Help me with my new Optimus, a few questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. dixie460

dixie460 Well-Known Member

Hey y'all, ain't been on here in a few weeks, hope everyone's doin good. I just picked up an LG Optimus, I think it's an "M" model. Brand new from Metro store, just wanted to verify the designation.

What does each letter signify? I've seen Optimus M, S, T and V... any real differences I should know about?

Also, I was fixin to install Z4Root, then I read a post by someone who said he tried it after the update to 2.2.1 (which mine came with already installed) and he screwed the phone up. Still determined to achieve root goodness, I watched the video link to youtube that's posted on here, and I needed the drivers as stated in the video. Well, it seems that there are no drivers available for Linux. My laptop is running Ubuntu 10.04, with Linux kernel version 2.6.32-30-generic...

Anyone know where I can get Linux drivers for this phone, or do I have to go use the Evil Windows Computer (EWC) in the other room? I would imagine since Android is based on Linux, there ought to be Linux drivers available... but what do I know. I'm just an end-user/customer to Google lol.

Also, any custom ROM's available? I'll be using the stock ROM for a bit to see what it's like, but I KNOW I'll just have to do a custom ROM install at some point. I can't leave ANYTHING stock, lmao!!

Thanks to everyone, in advance. :D

2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

The letter in most cases helps indicate the carrier. You are right in believing you have received the Optimus M(etroPCS). (V=Virgin, U=US Cellular, S=Sprint, etc)

Android is based on the Linux system, no drivers necessary ;). Same with a Mac. Default connection mode is modem. Enabling USB mode via phone gives access to the SD Card.

I can't recall if someone ran into complications attempting to root on Linux/Mac. I know in some cases Vista requires things to be run in XP Compatibility mode. There's a 2.2.1 ROM available on the forum.
    dixie460 likes this.
  3. dixie460

dixie460 Well-Known Member

Alright, I'm reading a few things here on the net

Looks like I still need to compile (from a tarball) a program to fastboot with?

I really appreciate the help Darnell, and anyone else that might chime in here.
  4. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Unless someone on a Linux system can chime in, I'd stick with the instructions here on the forum and use that comp you hate so much in the other room, lol.

Start here:
    And any files not available in that thread should be here:

The methods on this forum are confirmed to work and the community is always here to help. Not often you find a mobile community dedicated to something more than XDA :).