Help, multilingual text message option in HTC legend?

1. mgross55

mgross55 New Member

HI

I have recently purchased a HTC Legend and wonder how I could write multilingual text messages. The language options provided in my phone are Spanish, French, English and Italian. As I also speak German I would need to be able to send a text message in both languages (English & German) which unfortunately isnt possible at the moment.

I have already uploaded the morelocale2 app but this seems to only change the local language. I would always have to go back to settings and select the "new" local to be able to send a text in a different language and this is a real pain.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

odd... I'm in England and my phone came in German! best bet would be to find a keyboard that supports German, here are a few ideas german keyboard - Search Android Apps on AppBrain I'm not sure you can get a keyboard to support both languages at the same time though as this would make word prediction twice as inaccurate! you never know though
  3. mgross55

mgross55 New Member

Hi Adi

you are a star, thanks. It does recognise (more or less) which language I am typing in. Not all words are available but many and this is very helpful!

Thanks

Mel
  4. kxbc

kxbc Member

when I was on 2.1, I can type Chinese when I am texting. However, with the 2.2 upgrade, I can't seem to do it anymore. And in addition, the upgrade added both Thai and Vietnamese text settings which I am not familiar with.

Is there anyway I can remove the Thai and Vietnamese text settings and add in a Chinese one? Thank you.
  5. adi19956

well I just translated my phone into Chinese to help and I definitely have it (what Google Translate told me was Chinese in Chinese anyway (中文))
    With the 2.2 update I seem to have had LOADS more languages added and Chinese is at the very bottom.
    I don't know why your Chinese has been uninstalled, but this video should help
    Chinese Input on Android 2.1 (HTC Desire) | Times New Rohan
    kxbc likes this.
  6. kxbc

kxbc Member

I called up the hotline and they were not of much help except that I need to back up my phone and do a hard reset. I am not that willing to do that as it means spending another few hours and some effort before getting my phone back in the condition I require. I am not even sure if that will resolve my issues if I do a hard reset.

I also note that with the upgrade, I have lost my haptic feedback when I use the QWERTY keyboard even though I have selected it in the Settings. The hardware is working fine as I still get haptic feedback when I unlock my phone via the normal keypad.
  7. kxbc

kxbc Member

Thanks for the tip.

I tried it and it works. Somehow, it works around the screwed up software update and now I can input Chinese via the touch input selection. I also got back my haptic feedback when I use the keyboard. The keyboard look has gone back to the 2.1 look as well. Now I just have to wait for HTC to come up with a patch to remedy. Hope it will not take another 6 months.
  8. adi19956

well tbf most 2.2 problems are sorted out with a hard reset I'm afraid. Delaying it now will make it harder in the future.
    Did you watch the video? it gives you Chinese
    kxbc likes this.
  9. adi19956

sorry didn't see that when I replied :)
  10. kxbc

kxbc Member

I did a factory reset but I had a hard time with the phone datwa backup as I was not able to detect the Phone data backup function under Settings>Privacy (can't find this).

Anyway, still no Settings>Privacy>Back up after the hard reset.

But with the backup, the haptic feedback and the input of Chinese characters are back on line. The Thai and Vietnamese input are gone.

I had actually called and mailed HTC but their replies were totally useless. Luckily this forum is really helpful. Thank you, adi19956.
  11. adi19956

it's a pleasure my friend