• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help, multilingual text message option in HTC legend?

mgross55

Lurker
Dec 17, 2010
HI

I have recently purchased a HTC Legend and wonder how I could write multilingual text messages. The language options provided in my phone are Spanish, French, English and Italian. As I also speak German I would need to be able to send a text message in both languages (English & German) which unfortunately isnt possible at the moment.

I have already uploaded the morelocale2 app but this seems to only change the local language. I would always have to go back to settings and select the "new" local to be able to send a text in a different language and this is a real pain.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

Thanks

when I was on 2.1, I can type Chinese when I am texting. However, with the 2.2 upgrade, I can't seem to do it anymore. And in addition, the upgrade added both Thai and Vietnamese text settings which I am not familiar with.

Is there anyway I can remove the Thai and Vietnamese text settings and add in a Chinese one? Thank you.

Upvote 0
when I was on 2.1, I can type Chinese when I am texting. However, with the 2.2 upgrade, I can't seem to do it anymore. And in addition, the upgrade added both Thai and Vietnamese text settings which I am not familiar with.

Is there anyway I can remove the Thai and Vietnamese text settings and add in a Chinese one? Thank you.

well I just translated my phone into Chinese to help and I definitely have it (what Google Translate told me was Chinese in Chinese anyway (中文))
With the 2.2 update I seem to have had LOADS more languages added and Chinese is at the very bottom.
I don't know why your Chinese has been uninstalled, but this video should help
Chinese Input on Android 2.1 (HTC Desire) | Times New Rohan

Reactions: kxbc
Upvote 0
well I just translated my phone into Chinese to help and I definitely have it (what Google Translate told me was Chinese in Chinese anyway (中文))
With the 2.2 update I seem to have had LOADS more languages added and Chinese is at the very bottom.
I called up the hotline and they were not of much help except that I need to back up my phone and do a hard reset. I am not that willing to do that as it means spending another few hours and some effort before getting my phone back in the condition I require. I am not even sure if that will resolve my issues if I do a hard reset.

I also note that with the upgrade, I have lost my haptic feedback when I use the QWERTY keyboard even though I have selected it in the Settings. The hardware is working fine as I still get haptic feedback when I unlock my phone via the normal keypad.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip.

I tried it and it works. Somehow, it works around the screwed up software update and now I can input Chinese via the touch input selection. I also got back my haptic feedback when I use the keyboard. The keyboard look has gone back to the 2.1 look as well. Now I just have to wait for HTC to come up with a patch to remedy. Hope it will not take another 6 months.

Upvote 0
I called up the hotline and they were not of much help except that I need to back up my phone and do a hard reset. I am not that willing to do that as it means spending another few hours and some effort before getting my phone back in the condition I require. I am not even sure if that will resolve my issues if I do a hard reset.

I also note that with the upgrade, I have lost my haptic feedback when I use the QWERTY keyboard even though I have selected it in the Settings. The hardware is working fine as I still get haptic feedback when I unlock my phone via the normal keypad.

well tbf most 2.2 problems are sorted out with a hard reset I'm afraid. Delaying it now will make it harder in the future.
Did you watch the video? it gives you Chinese

Reactions: kxbc
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip.

I tried it and it works. Somehow, it works around the screwed up software update and now I can input Chinese via the touch input selection. I also got back my haptic feedback when I use the keyboard. The keyboard look has gone back to the 2.1 look as well. Now I just have to wait for HTC to come up with a patch to remedy. Hope it will not take another 6 months.

sorry didn't see that when I replied :)

Upvote 0
well tbf most 2.2 problems are sorted out with a hard reset I'm afraid. Delaying it now will make it harder in the future.
Did you watch the video? it gives you Chinese
I did a factory reset but I had a hard time with the phone datwa backup as I was not able to detect the Phone data backup function under Settings>Privacy (can't find this).

Anyway, still no Settings>Privacy>Back up after the hard reset.

But with the backup, the haptic feedback and the input of Chinese characters are back on line. The Thai and Vietnamese input are gone.

I had actually called and mailed HTC but their replies were totally useless. Luckily this forum is really helpful. Thank you, adi19956.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones