HELP. My computer doesn't recognize EPIC. How To mount? Drivers? Don't FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Support

Last Updated:

1. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so if you are freaking out, or can't figure out why your new Epic isn't being recognized by your computer, calm down. Some of you are probably already searching for drivers. Ya I already went through that freak out when I got my Vibrant. Okay, to mount your phone, and have your computer recognize the internal/external memory, do this:

Connect your phone to your computer via USB. Give it a few seconds.

Next, PULL DOWN your notification bar.

Next, tap your finger on "USB CONNECTED"

You then get a message asking if you would like to mount. Tap "mount" confirming you would like to do so.

Enjoy, your computer should now recognize the internal/external memory.

BTW, reverse this process before pulling the usb cable out. Always remove a cable safely, otherwise the data can get corrupt. Don't just yank your cable out.

Edit:
    Some of you may also find the following useful. Hopefully the Epic is similar to the Vibrant in these settings.... Try this out:

Menu>settings>applications>usb settings... here you will see some more usb settings like samsung kies, media player, mass storage, ask on connection

Advertisement
  2. irwinm

irwinm Well-Known Member

Still doesn't work with my Macbook Pro (OSX 10.6) - My EVO works fine so not sure what to do - it says it cannot read the portable drive and opens disk utility.

alanamaslama and TiffanyDyme like this.
  3. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Thank you - now - a stoopid noob question - I see the directories - where does the music go?

4. CzechPleez

CzechPleez Well-Known Member

The music should go in the ...drum roll please.... "MUSIC" folder. :)

If you don't see one go ahead and create but I think it's there by default on the pre-installed 16Gb card.

5. DILands

OK - What's the deal?

The is no music folder - adding it now. The Directory - and Autorun keep blipping on and off.

6. quasi13

quasi13 Member

I think it's smart enough to index it all for you. I put all my music at that top level of the SD card (not in a "music" subfolder). The music app was smart enough to find it all.

7. DILands

doh - doing it from napster - seems slow - but going!

8. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

"My Computer" is not even finding the phone, much less refusing it. Grr. I did everything in the first post. :(

Edit. Only my old PC won't find it. My newer laptop has no problem. Guess I need to download a driver? That PC has all my music, pics, etc.

9. KVN

KVN Member

Plugged it into my macbook pro, went to my phone an put it as a media hub, then it showed right up on my desktop. Now is there anyway to use my music as a ringtone?

10. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Atleast for the moment you had to have USB debugging turned on for the mac to recognize it. You can try that!

11. Puddin422

So if we do it the way it is posted, and the computer still doesn't recognize the phone, what do we do??

12. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member

Did that but Vista asks for drivers.
    Epic doesnt show up as a connected device .

13. SamsungVibrant

vista is asking for drivers just to let you access the phones sd card? strange.

14. shweber

shweber Member

My computer says that the usb isn't recognized. I also never saw the option to choose mass storage as in directions. What to do...

TiffanyDyme likes this.
  15. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member

16. Puddin422

Thanks. For reference, couldn't get the download to start on Google Chrome. Had to go to Firefox to download the driver. It's downloading now..

duratime likes this.
  17. chaosfenix

chaosfenix Member

I was encountering a similar problem earlier today on Win7 64bit. If I remember correctly the following was my procedure that ended up working:

1. Go to Samsung folder in program files and run the uninstall
    2. Go Control Panel > add/remove programs and uninstall the samsung drivers from there (I still had a listing even after using the uninstall from the samsung folder above in 1.)
    3. Turn OFF usb debugging on phone and connect to the computer. My computer registered the device and successfully loaded the drivers for it.
    4. Unplug usb from the phone and install the samsung drivers
    5. Enable usb debugging on the phone and plug it into the computer. It immediately detected and installed the drivers for 3 of the 4 listed, the CDC or CMC or whatever it was called never listed as loaded, but didn't seem to affect anything.
    6. Load up the command prompt and try adb shell like normal

Hopefully that helps. I think it may have been having multiple installations of the drivers on the computer that was causing the problems. No amount of pointing the device to the drivers would make them work. Uninstalling them all and reinstalling via the above steps seemed to let it automatically set everything up.

Edit: The above is what I did to get to a point where I could actually adb to the phone to root it. It also had the side effect of properly configuring the computer/device to allow file transfers when not in usb debugging mode. If you only want to transfer files, make sure you are NOT in usb debugging mode.

tigger2u and Epicurean like this.
  18. Puddin422

I'm on WinXP. I downloaded the driver, and I still get an error popup, and it's not showing up in My Computer. I'm getting frustrated. If ALL of my music and pics weren't on this particular computer, I wouldn't care. My newer laptop had no problem at all, without needing a driver. :(

19. chaosfenix

chaosfenix Member

If its showing up in my computer and you want to copy your music over, is there still a problem? or should the "now showing up" actually be "not showing up?"

20. Puddin422

Ack. Should say NOT showing up. BTW I even tried restarting the computer after the driver install.

21. chaosfenix

chaosfenix Member

check pm so we dont hijack the thread futher

22. dblankenburg

dblankenburg Member

No luck on XP or Vista so far, neither will recognize the phone. Have installed the drivers, uninstalled them, re-installed them etc.

23. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Went through all the driver installs and uninstalls on a win7x64 laptop. Tried a cheap microUSB cable, a decent mini USB with the motorola micro adapter and no dice. Then I broke down and opened the OEM cable in the box. Still no dice. Gave up and left for the shore where my winXP laptop was. Had a good generic cable down there as well. winXP and that cable found it no problem. Now I have to wait till I get home to try that cable with the win7 laptop and see what happens as well as the other cables with the XP laptop.

The one cheap cable wouldn't even charge my Evo so that hit the trash real quick.

24. SamsungVibrant

welcome

25. nchargreed

nchargreed Well-Known Member

My Vista run computer was not recognizing my phone. I simply turned off USB debugging, got the "Mass Storage" option, chose it, and my computer immediately recognized the phone.