HELP...my droid went from perfect to a useless piece of crap over nightSupport

Last Updated:

1. jbg25

jbg25 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have raved about how great my Droid is... since launch day. Have had none of the problems anyone has mentioned here....hell the phone even takes really nice pics for me too.

THEN...starting yesterday....

My online email interface "fastmail.fm" which I have sent emails with previously on my phone...now no longer allows me to enter text in the body of the email...I cant add or change email address and the subject. But I cannot get the cursor in the text field.

Then today, I tried to share a photo sent to me via MMS. in the past, I clicked on the photo...and got the option to save/share. now I do not get the option at all. So I tried to use the Astro picture viewer...click share. It brought up the options...and I clicked GMAIL...phone crashes and says "The application GMAIL (process com.google.android.gm) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. I did..and same thing. So I tried to upload to Picasa, and the same thing..."My Uploads (process com.google.android.apps.uploader) has stopped unexpectedly)

Then my phone did a auto restart several times without me doing anything.

Just a couple mins ago...I tried to make this post from the car on my phone (I was not driving...lol)...and while trying to type the text into the post...Dolphin crashed.

WHAT THE F HAS HAPPENED...and how do I fix. I love this phone...and I am well past the 30 days now...so couldnt return if I wanted.

I have unistalled half my apps...and took most of my widgets off my homescreens...so far nothing!

Advertisement
  2. v-6 nolo

v-6 nolo Well-Known Member

you have a home replacement?

3. burkett375

burkett375 Member

do a soft wipe of the phone. as long as you have everything backed up via the default settings, everything will reinstall itself and the phone will be much faster.

4. jbg25

SON OF A....I did not eve think of that

I have Home++...and I think he did update just the other day. But I scanned the forum real quick and did not see anyone else complaining of this.

I will try using the standard home...and see if that works.

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Agreed. Try this first if it's been working fine. Maybe there was an app conflict or something.

6. jbg25

what is the difference between a soft and a hard wipe? and how do I do it?

7. burkett375

burkett375 Member

soft wipe will clean, but save settings, etc. hard wipe will clean it completely and start over

8. jbg25

ok...how do I do it?

9. jbg25

BTW....problems persist in default home!

have to hope on a plane...hopefully the games still work

10. burkett375

burkett375 Member

Settings -> Privacy -> Factory data reset -> reset phone

make sure that back up my settings is checked before you do it. It backs up everything first and redownloads after resetting. if it isn't checked, you have to check it and wait until everything is uploaded first. I did a reset on Tuesday and my phone is real speedy now.

11. jbg25

So...that sucked....not only did the factory reset not fix my problems...but even though I had everything set to back up....all my texts and settings are gone...Facebook is not synched anymore...nothing reinstalled...I am ready to take back every good thing I have ever said about his stupid phone.

So now I have a complete naked Droid that does not work right.

12. jbg25

Now I have new problems...that did not exist before the reset...now my phone wont rotate....and typing this now there is a terrible lag...and I have to stop gulping every 5 words and let it catch up

13. ddarvish

ddarvish Well-Known Member

it may be downloading all your setting back right now which is why there may be a lag?

14. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

probably was related to a crappy app you downloaded. im staying away from any sort of home replacement or odd sounding app. ::knock on wood:: i havent had a single issue yet, i <3 my droid! Especially now with the google news app from 2.1...so nice!

15. fortworthbret

fortworthbret Well-Known Member

*There's your problem*...... you're drunk as hell.

:)

it may have to do with the device dl-ing everything again (hopefully, right?)

16. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

put your phone down for 30 minutes and just let it do it's thing lol!!!!!!

17. jbg25

Just got home...flight was not that bad considering how bad the rain was when I left.

@fortworthbret...ROFLMAO! That was the best laugh I have had in days. not sure how the autocorrect got gulping from my attempt at the word "typing". But I was rushing as they started boarding the plane as I was finishing that post.

I do indeed believe that because I did the reset just before getting on the plane, and I was so anxious to get a game back on for me to play that I think I did indeed screw up the resync.

I just did another reset, as things were still a little wonky...and now all that resynced were the apps that I have paid for...all free apps I previously downloaded are now gone.

I also now have to resync with Facebook and figure out what free programs I want to risk downloading again.

Also...anyone think there is any chance this was because I backed up Beautiful Widgets with Astro since HTC made LevelUp remove the good one? Could they have found a way to make the old widget harmful or least cause conflicts?

18. dakoop

dakoop Well-Known Member

Mine has been pretty slow lately also.

19. jimdibb

jimdibb Well-Known Member

I just tried to forward a MMS today for the first time. Had the same issue trying to go through either gmail or picasa. Same message about Google, force quit, etc.

I am running the Home++ home screen replacement, but I hadn't tried the MMS thing before, so I don't know if its better or worse.

20. writhum

writhum Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything about this, please explain!

21. jbg25

So...Since I did the 2nd factory reset, which wiped out all the free apps, it seems that everything is back to normal. I still get the occassional force close...and I still cannot just click on a picture I was sent by MMS and share it. But I found the workaround. After saving the image...I can share it with no crashes.

I have reloaded many of the apps again...minus the task panel, battery widgets, and a few others. I also had a couple programs that did the same thing...so I chose the ones I liked better of these and only loaded them.

Last...I think I had a widget that may not have been fully compatible with my Droid. I had downloaded the coupon widget...but after the wipe...when searching for it...I found there was a droid specific version. I am willing to bet...this was the main problem.

I wish there was a way to filter apps in the market so that you can see only the ones designed to be compatible with your phone.

22. boycan

boycan Well-Known Member

My Droid throws a Tantrum every time I download home++, I used it before the upgrade and it worked great and I loved it but since the upgrade my Droid hates it! :-/ And you can guess who wins this temper tantrum. ;-(

23. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

<snip> from 2.1 ... news goodness </snip>
    Android 2.1 apparently has this spiffy Google news/weather widget. Truly killa. Lemme go rifle thru my Firefox history to see if I can find the xda-forum thread link leading you to that goodness....

Bingo! Genie Widget from Nexus One Dump - xda-developers
    Warning-- ya gotta register before you can download, but TRULY worth it! (For whatever reason, I caught heck trying to register from the Droid. So ya might wanna go the desktop route.)