HELP!!! Need to get rid off the Root on my 2 day old Incredible

Last Updated:

1. miaheat77

miaheat77 New Member This Topic's Starter

So i pretty much know nothing about computer or Rom's if thats what you call it nor Droid system.

So i heard that you can get better battery life on your Incredible and you can also make you phone faster.

Here is what i have done so far.

I install Unrevoked on my mac and connected to my phone and did its stuff. after all said and done i have and Icon on my phone called SuperUser which i have no idea what that is. Then I read that i need to download busybox , Ok! But now what?

I can't seem to understand anything. All i wanted was to remove some of the preinstall apps and get a faster CPU and get better battery life. But since i dont know what i am doing and getting frustrated i just want to go back on how my phone came when it came out the box.

I am idiot to this so please i need step by step on what i need to do.

I have a MAC not a windows computer. Also if you think that you can walk me through with either project (remove root or what i was orig planning on doing) please send me expecific details. I would so appreciated.

Thank you,

HELP!!!!!!!

Ps. my phone is 4 days old

Advertisement
  2. Casbah

Casbah Well-Known Member

3. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

You are already rooted and unrooting is a huge PITA, so I would just leave it be. You didn't mention any problems with your phone so I am not sure why you want to "unroot" it now. Wouldn't it be better to just research how to do the things that you initially wanted?

First of all, read this thread. It will explain what all the terms are that you keep seeing:
    A Dummies Guide to Android Terminology & Lingo

SuperUser is what shows up when you root. If you use any apps that require rooting (such as Titanium Backup or SetCPU), they will ask for "super user" access. That is what that is for.

BusyBox is a program that you need to get in order to use Titanium Backup (which is something you want!). Download Titanium Backup from the market (the free version will be fine). When you first try to run the program it won't work, saying you need BusyBox. Just click okay then click on Problems (on the mainscreen of the app) and it will ask you to install it. Pretty simple.

Titanium Backup is what you will want to use to remove the unwanted apps. Just a backup first (just in case) and then uninstall the apps you don't want.

Most important, just read this fourm. Anything and everything you need to know is already here. If you run into something specific that you need help with, just post your problem and we'll be glad to help you through it.

4. Terabethia

Here is some info about getting and using Titanium Backup:

Titanium Backup

Get Titanium Backup from the market and install it like you would any other app. When you first run it you’ll get an error message about not having root, and needing BusyBox. Clear that message and click the button on the bottom called, “Problems?” then select “Yes, do it.” This will install BusyBox. Titanium Backup requires the phone to be in USB Debugging mode (which you turned on at the beginning of this process). Allow any Superuser requests.

Run your first backup by pressing the menu button and then selecting Batch. Tap Run next to Backup all user apps + system data. Once that’s complete, schedule a weekly backup. Titanium backup will backup your apps, phone settings, app settings, and market links. It’s free – but the full version is well worth the $4!

5. miaheat77

Thank you all for your help... So i did the Titanium Backup and did excatly as the message. So i ran the (backup all user apps+system Data) and it took forever so i am not sure if that is normal.

So now!! how do i delete unwanted apps?

and if anyone can tell me how make my battery life alot better and maken my CPU faster that would.

Again, Step by step would help i am idiot when it comes to this.

thanks in advance.

6. SDotNY

SDotNY Well-Known Member

7. Terabethia

Yes, that's normal. It takes a couple of minutes.

Open Titanium Backup. Click on the Backup/Restore tab. From there, you will see all the apps on the phone. Click on the one you want to remove and a window will pop up with a button that says "Un-Install!" Rinse and repeat for all the apps.

Now this is where it gets complicated because there really isn't a one-size-fits-all answer. And there are LOTS of options for things you can do.

Hate to say it, but you are just going to have to research these. At this point you are getting into custom ROM's and Kernels and Radio's.

Also, check out a thread about SetCPU. It's an app that you get from the market that allows you to under/over clock your phone as well as set up custom profiles for unclocking (like when the screen is off) which helps improve battery life.

8. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

I'm not criticizing here, but you really should have researched all of this before you did it. I know that I stalked the "all things root" section for a few months before I even decided to root. Now I'm comfortable with kernels, roms, boot animations, etc.

My advice to you is just to leave it rooted unless you need to return it. Read up on everything. Get comfortable with it before you try to change anything. There is the potential that you could really screw up your phone if you go rooting (pun?) around inside of it. Simply leaving it rooted and just using it normally will not screw your phone up.

9. miaheat77

Terabethia & Beatlesfan.... you guys are right... I am going to deal with it for now but I was able to delete some apps from my phone which is awesome.

If I ever want to go back to the way my phone came out the box, is that possible?

Please, Please, Please!

If you can Send me step by step since I am the idiot in this dept. I promise you that it will be my last question. Terabethia way of showing was the best so please let me know how to do it.

Everyone has been great with my questions?

Thanks in advance

10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Beatlesfan likes this.
  11. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

Please, don't worry about it. We are all here to help. You jumped the gun a bit on rooting but you didn't screw anything up so it's all good. Here is a great post about to get back to stock 2.2. I've tried it and it works perfectly:http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/181255-how-downgrade-official-2-2-a.html

Good luck. If you've any more questions please feel free to ask!

EDIT: Oh iowabowtech beat me to it! I WAS linking to your post though haha.