Help...need to unroot!

Last Updated:

1. Ellie914

Ellie914 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I tried following the instructions on the XDA site and I'm lost. It says I don't have an app to run the file....

No idea about all this and need easy step by step directions!!

THX

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Every journey to somewhere starts someplace; and without knowing where someplace is, directions to somewhere can not be given.

So... how did you root your phone, what non-custom ROM (if any) is on it, do you have Amon_RA's recovery on the phone, or a different recovery, do you know how to use it?

etc etc etc

If you know how to download a ROM file and install it using Amon_RA, then you simply need to download and install the "Flashback15 v1" ROM. Make sure to read the instructions carefully - in particular, don't get anxious when the OTA is flashing - there is a period of time that lasts for more than 6 minutes during the OTA-2.1 upgrade where it looks like the phone is "stuck", even though it is not.

Download FlashBack15 ROM ~ 15 Minutes
    Flash FlashBack15 ROM ~ 6 minutes
    Accept, Download, & Verify OTA ~ 18 Minutes
    Run OTA Upgrade: ~13 minutes

eu1

3. Ellie914

Thanks for responding so quickly. I did the one click root method and then did nothing else....so I'm pretty sure I don't have the Amon_RA or even know what it is for that matter. LOL Sorry I'm very new to all this but am sending the phone back to verizon and don't want it rooted.
    I do not know how to even flash a new rom or use a recovery at all. I was going to learn and then decided to just leave it as is and see about getting a replacement with verizon.

4. erisuser1

If you used the "one click" method, then you do have Amon_RA on the phone - that is exactly what the "one click" method does.

Unfortunately, if the Verizon Rep does a "factory reset" on your phone, Amon_RA will "pop up" right in the middle of that process, and the jig will be up.

The process of installing a ROM isn't too bad, it boils down to:

- Make sure your phone is well charged - as in, 100%
    - download the ROM correctly to the topmost folder of your SD card
    - check the file length to make sure you didn't accidentally corrupt or truncate it during the download
    - turn the phone off
    - start the phone by pressing vol-down+End/power; this will take you to the "HBOOT" screen; from there press "Vol-Up", and you will boot into Amon_RA recovery.
    - Perform a "Wipe data/factory reset" from the Amon_RA menus
    - Perform a "Flash .zip from sdcard" from the Amon_RA menus.

There are pictures & instructions of how to operate Amon_RA in the fourth post of the "Root for Dummies" thread.

Using the "FlashBack15 v1" ROM will take about an hour - half of that will be just waiting for things to download.

eu1

5. Ellie914

Ok thanks...I am charging now so I have to wait until that is done before starting.
    She had me do a reset while on the phone and I just chose wipe and I'm not sure what it did. I'm not sure she knew what I did since it was over the phone. Either way they are sending me a new phone already so if I unroot before sending it back I should be ok right?

How do i make sure the ROM is at the topmost folder of my sd card and this won't erase any pics or whatever on my card right? I downloaded the ROM zip from XDA but I'm not sure where it downloaded to.

Again thanks so much and I'm sorry I have so many questions. I shouldn't have rooted at all and then I wouldn't have this trouble.

6. erisuser1

yep.

If you downloaded it by using the phone, it will be in the

/sdcard/download folder. You will need to move the zip file to the /sdcard folder (by using a file manager on the phone) if that is the case - Amon_RA only looks in that folder for .zip files.

If you downloaded it to your PC first, and then transferred it (by "mounting" the phone to the PC), it would be placed right underneath the "E:" or "F:" drive (whatever drive letter Windows assigns to it).

Make sure to (at a minimum) check the .zip file length to make sure it downloaded completely ( 94,011,341 bytes ).

While you are waiting for your phone to charge, read through the post (above) that has all the pictures of using Amon_RA. You will not need to make a backup, but it won't hurt if you do.

eu1

PS - Yeah, none of these steps will erase anything on your SD card.

7. Ellie914

Thanks so much!! I think I got it! Went through all the steps and it looks like it's done rebooting etc. Is there a way for sure I can tell that it's not rooted anymore??

Thanks again :)

8. erisuser1

Well, I'm the person (bftb0) that put that ROM together, so if it installed correctly, I'm pretty confident that there will only be a stock recovery boot present instead of the Amon_RA, and the software present is 100% stock.

(BTW, when you said "done rebooting" - did you do the accept the OTA update and do that one too? Normally as soon as you start up your phone (the first reboot), it will prompt you that "an update is available" )

You can check the first (is a stock recovery present?) by:

1) Turning off the phone completely (cold shutdown), and powering it back up with Vol-Down+End/Power and then following the menu (Vol-Up) to boot into recovery. If you don't see the Amon_RA screen, but instead see just a graphic image (the phone and a triangle with an exclamation point), then that is the stock recovery. (You will need to pull the battery to get out of this).

You can check the second by looking at

Settings -> About phone and then scroll down to Software version, and you will see 2.37.605.4

(Even if it shows 1.17.605.1, that is also stock software, so you can return the phone in that state too.)

When the new phone arrives, you might consider doing a

Settings -> Privacy -> Factory data reset.

That will clear everything off the phone, and also delete the activation data from that unit.

eu1

Ellie914 likes this.
  9. Ellie914

Yes I did the OTA update...:)

Ok so I looked at the settings and it is the correct software version!!

Again thanks so much!! The new phone coming is a Droid 2!!!

It's really awesome to be able to need help with something and get it solved so quickly!! It's very appreciated!!!

10. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

You can always run the RUU, and look in your c:\documents and settings\local settings\temp\(some long dir)\rom.zip copy that to your SD Card and rename it to PB00IMG.ZIP and boot your phone while holding down the volume control.

HBOOT will come up and start loading the rom and will wipe your phone and remove amon ra.

doogald likes this.