• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Needed - Android Installation - PC

jcyshin

Lurker
Apr 26, 2011
Hi All,

I have joined the Android Forums to seriously get some help here.

I am currently in the middle of setting up a trip boot with Mac OS X, Ubuntu 14.04 and Android 4.4, all on 1 Samsung Spinpoint S3 500GB HDD.

I also have a separate SSD for Win 7, so can't really call my set up a quad boot. I am planning to use Grub to boot all 7 OS's, currently I have Win 7 and Ubuntu booting up fine through Grub, Mac OS X has always been a pain to set up, especially on an AMD system instead of intel. However I never thought that Android would give me this much headache either.

For some reason the Android installation I am doing won't even pick up my Samsung HDD which it needs to as it is one of 3 partitions on the drive. Every time I load up the installation, it picks up my OZC SDD plus the usb stick that has the android installation files but not Samsung 500GB HDD that it needs to be installed on, or does it pick up my 1TB Data Drive I use for storage.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can do to get this working, really hitting a brick wall here and I don't have a lot of time left to get all this working.

Please help and thank you in advance.

Hi jcyshin, I moved your thread to the IT &Computers forum :)

I'm not knowledgeable about installing Android on a PC, but if you only have the 500GB drive connected does the Android installation recognize it? Also, it might help others troubleshoot your issue if you post what type of Android setup/installation you're using, the only one I've heard of that works on computers is Android_x86.

Upvote 0
Like Kate, i am not that knowledgeable about loading Android on a PC but i do know that your issues could come from Android being a "UNIX-like system" where MAC OS X is a UNIX based system and Windows is different all together. Android doesn't use the GRUB bootloader. Instead it uses "init" which is a specialized program for initializing elements of the Android system. Unlike other Linux systems, Android uses it's own initialization program. Init looks for two files(init.rc and init.<machine name>.rc where <machine name> is the name of the machine that Android is running on. Usually the machine name is a code word like the HTC1 is 'trout". If it does not find a code name for your hardware this may be the cause of your Samsung HDD bootup problem. This is all i can offer on the issue. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones