1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed in studying feasibility of Android

Last Updated:

1. asimmittal

asimmittal New Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 3, 2010

I'm conducting a pre-project feasibility study on using Android as the OS of choice on a project.

I seek info on the following topics:
    - I've heard there is a C++ NDK for writing native code on Android. What is the level of apps that I can write using this NDK? Can apps written here, be as good as those written using Java? Does this NDK provide an alternative to coding in Java on Android, with complete equivalency as far as libraries, widget sets, UI etc are concerned?

- I have libraries for using a particular piece of hardware for Ubuntu. These are in C++. If I can manage to compile all these libraries onto Android, can I use them using the C++ NDK on android to create applications with rich UI?

- How good is the Android Scripting Environment? I'm a python programmer and would like to start writing python apps for android. Again, can I use the python interpreter for android to create rich UI? For instance, on S60 phones (nokia), I know that coding in Python is a real alternative for people who don't want to use C++ (the main language for the S60 Programmer). But can I expect similar results from the Python interpreter on Android?

- Is there a way to create applications for Android, apart from using Java!? I would like to use C++ (given a choice between C++ and Python), but I have had mixed reactions from people regarding the depth of the C++ libraries.

Please forgive me if I've posed a silly query, I'm new to Android, and before taking a plunge would like to know what I'm getting into.