Help! New to Rooting and need held and advice.

Last Updated:

1. SplicedX

SplicedX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'll keep this short and to the point. First, i'm new to rooting and programming though i'm no noob when it comes to tech. I have several questions with regards to the process. I also am not looking to go crazy modding out my phone and i would like to keep it somewhat close to stock so that i can still use all of my apps and maybe recieve updates if possible. So, If anyone can get me going on a good setup, I would be very grateful.

My hboot is 1.47.0000
    And I am on the 2.1 OTA

1. what is a good stable ROM and setup to use?
    It has to be fast yet stable and have the ability to overclock

2. Are there simplified step by step instructions for rooting?
    I've seen the thread 1.5 to 2.1 and it kind of confused me.

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

DroidEris1981,

1. I would recommend Ivanmmj's Eris Official 1.0 w/overclocking:

[ROM] Eris_Official 1.0 Alpha With Controllable Overclocking! [5/9/2010] - xda-developers

It meets all of your requirements listed above (and its the one that I use :D).

2. Yes, there are simplified steps. You want to follow the http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html which also work for 2.1 OTA phones (and you've got a 1.47 HBOOT, which is nice...:))

Make sure you peruse through all of the stickied threads in All Things Root (Eris) - Android Forums

I've also tried putting together a basic root troubleshooting guide (taken from other's useful posts in these forums) that it might be helpful for you to at least read through once, just to avoid some pitfals others have encountered: http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-troubleshooting-guide-htc-droid-eris.html

Good luck and happy rooting!

SplicedX likes this.
  3. SplicedX

I actually ended up using the HTC Master Application By ECLIPS3 and jamezelle. So far so good. Now just to set it all up. thanks for the input.

4. pacedrum69

pacedrum69 Well-Known Member

scary alien is the man.....he literally called me and walked me thru the parts I got stuck on....not once but twice lol.... Thanks to him , Im a rooting maniac now..lol... Ive tried 6 or 7 ROMs now...my 2 favs are Aloysius v12 and White Widow 4.4

Enjoy bud.

5. SplicedX

My only question now is what ROMs are worthwile? the one im on now is Ivans official eris 1.0. i tried overclocking but it didnt seem to work. 528mhz was as fast as it would go. any others that are worth consideration?

6. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

i think mines worth consideration :p
    depends on what your looking for though to be honest.

what do you want? do you like sense or do you like it slimmed down? how much OC? what features?

7. Hatchna

Hatchna Active Member

I'm a newer Eris user, and rooted mine immediately after buying it. There are a couple of ROMs I've used pretty extensively and I can really recommend either. I started off with Sense-able 3.1, and it worked well for me. The kernel it came with could overclock to 710 Mhz.

[ROM]Sense-able 3.1! OverClock [5/10/10] - xda-developers

I recently switched from Sense-able to Aloysius Snow and I'm loving that ROM. Very quick, and responsive. Very very nice. Looks like Aloysius too is overclocked to 710 MHz. 710 seems like a decent point for me. I've noticed a few issues with instability when clocked to 768 or higher, so 710 works nicely. (Others have had no issues overclocking higher, so as always YMMV.) I really really like Aloysius though. Highly impressed.

[ROM] Aloysius 2.0 Snow with OC, Friendstream and APP2SD (6/2/10) - xda-developers

I hope you find one you like. Rooting and the customization available is incredible.

8. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

DroidEris1981, overclocking up to 710 MHz should work just fine with with Ivan's 1.0. You should double-check which version of Ivan's Eris Official you actually installed with the EMA (check the _UPLOAD/_ROMS directory to see what version of the ROM actually got downloaded--older versions of EMA grabbed Ivan's older versions of his ROM). You can also double-check your clock rate with System Panel or something similar.

I must say that Andrizoid's White Widow ROM has gotten lots of attention and posts (and threads, lol) by lots of folks. He has clearly spent a lot of time working on it and making customizations and upgraded versions. But, it all depends on what features you are looking for.

Whatever ROM you choose, be sure to make Nandroid backups and do the requisite wipes as specified by the ROMs developer. Good luck!

9. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

you should write up a list of features you are looking for. it would slim down the list quite a bit

10. SplicedX

andrizoid, i will get a list compiled at some point but i just switched to senseable 3.0 and i really like the new look. at first i wanted to remain as close to stock sense as possible but now i am reconsidering. as i get more comfortable with flashing the roms and root in general i will explore more. Speed(overclocking and snappy software), cool looks, customizable and stability are key! other then that im open to all.

thanks