Help .. Newbie in need of assistance!

Last Updated:

1. cdelo1989

cdelo1989 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys & gals ... i need some help with my HTC Hero software 2.1. Looking for tips and suggestions ... i want to change my cell from sprint service to another network (preferably TMobile ... based on what I've read online ... could be completely wrong though) & i am wondering if it is possible to do? plus do not know all the terms and lingo i.e. jail breaking, rooting, tethering, cracking? I'm just looking for over all pointers with the entire thing ... always been a PC guy ... but am very interested in Android OS and Linux (actually am fed up with Microsoft BS & and everything that goes with it) looking to make the jump to Linux on computer eventually one i get mine up and running again ... again thank you Microsoft lol ... just really looking to trick out phone to max capacity .. u know ... i am pretty tech savy but never used forums or any thing like this so ... i apologize if i'm in the wrong area or something ... and any and all advice or suggestions to do with upgrading phone and tricking it out would be of much appreciation ... and especially being able to switch carriers ... again thanks & have a great day!

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

No problem, your welcome to ask whatever here and can easily learn everything you wanna know and more. To maximize the potential of your Hero you'll need to start by rooting. Follow the sticky thread at the top of the All Things Root forum for info and walkthroughs on how to do this. Once your rooted, a custom rom is in order, but first you gotta root it so get to work!

3. Joehunni

4. Joehunni

5. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

You can't put a Sprint phone on T-Mobile. Sprint is a CDMA network and T-Mobile is a GSM network. Because if this, the phone cannot be switched between the two. You might be able to put it on Verizon because they run the same CDMA network like Sprint, but I doubt it. Besides, Sprint service is good and the price is right, so why switch? Just root your Sprint phone and then have a heyday with it. There is all kinds of stuff you can do once it's rooted.

6. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

I have a buddy who's a verizon rep, and oh my god at the prices of their plans. I guffawed when he told me they were "soooo much better than sprint"