• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help! Nexus 7 wont boot

Mejibray

Lurker
Mar 20, 2015
My nexus recently stopped turning on correctly after that god awful update to lollipop 5.0.2.
It was working perfectly before this.

It gets stuck in a loop at the Google logo and sometimes won’t turn on at all unless I leave it to charge for an hour first, even if the battery should be full.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing to fix an android device but as I can get it into bootloader I have attempted all the expected things such as recovering from last working point, deleting cache and even a full reset but all of these fail before the tasks even finish.

I thought I would take a risk and I downloaded Nexus root toolkit v.2.0.4, followed the instructions, downloaded the recommended drivers (driver option 3) and began. The Nexus connected to the laptop and I thought was responding to the program but every time it tried to reboot the Nexus couldn't turn itself back without me holding the start and volume buttons, so my attempts failed several times.

The program told me I would need to unlock bootloader and enable usb debugging however when I use the program to try unlocking it, it again tries to reset the nexus which results in failure as I can only turn it on manually. I can't access the settings to enable usb debugging so now I'm at a loss.
Any ideas?

Hey Mejibray, sorry to hear about your issues with your N7 :(, but welcome to our AndroidForums :).

Do you have a 2012 (first gen) or 2013 (second gen) Nexus 7?

I'd like to move your thread to the all-things-root area for your specific device so that other folks that have some device-specific knowledge may reply to your thread.

I can tell you I've seen other threads similar to your in our N7 areas and there might be a couple of other things you could try, but identifying your specific device is the first step needed to try to get you some help.

Cheers!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Hey Mejibray, sorry to hear about your issues with your N7 :(, but welcome to our AndroidForums :).

Do you have a 2012 (first gen) or 2013 (second gen) Nexus 7?

I'd like to move your thread to the all-things-root area for your specific device so that other folks that have some device-specific knowledge may reply to your thread.

I can tell you I've seen other threads similar to your in our N7 areas and there might be a couple of other things you could try, but identifying your specific device is the first step needed to try to get you some help.

Cheers!
Hi, the box for my Nexus says it was made 2012/12 and I think the model number is NEXUS ASUS - 1B060A

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Can you still access the bootloader, and did the drivers install ok? And does fastboot recognise the device? If so you might be able to download and flash a factory image. Or could try the same using Wug's NRT, and tick the force flash option (I think it's called) in toolkit settings, and from main screen pick softbrick/device is not on option and pick factory image to try.

Not a good sign though if it won't do the unlock wipe, and could point to hardware failure.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones