• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[HELP] No home screen | Factory reset

GamerzZ5GT

Lurker
Jul 25, 2012
Hello, I'm really new to Android, and I'm having a problem, any help would be appriciated!

I rooted my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and I've deleted some stock apps and stuff like that (TouchWiz, and stuff like that). And I had a launcher called GO Launcher or something like that.

And it glitched up in a way, so I did a factory reset in settings, and when it starts up I set the time up n' stuff, and the setup wizzard or smth like that crashes, and I have no home screen or anything for that matter.

How can I fix this? I'm really REALLY new to Android, so please explain this in a noob-friendly way. Thanks!

I hate to tell you this, but ... well, here's the warning I usually give to new rooters ...

Let me offer a word of caution. Many apps provide services for other parts of the OS and if you remove them, you can disable certain features or make your phone unusable. More importantly, system apps are not easily restorable like simply installing an .apk file. And once deleted, even a factory reset will not recover them. You will have to locate and flash a stock rom image to get them back. If you plan on rooting and deleting those apps, please check back here first before you do anything so we can make sure it's safe for you to delete those without any negative impact to your phone.

I think it's a lesson you've learned the hard way. TouchWiz integrates many more services into the Samsung Android implementation than just the launcher. By deleting it from system, you've removed it from your phone so that even a reset won't bring it back. You are going to have to locate and flash a rom to get your phone back. You didn't mention which model you have (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Intl., etc). Model number would be best to get you to the right place.

Upvote 0
Noobs shouldn't root immediately and start deleting stuff. Seriously.

Touchwiz on Samsung basically covers not only the launcher, but also the deep settings menus, the notification bar, the default SMS app (some SMS apps won't work if this is removed), the default dialer app, and etc. You get the picture. Considering that removing TouchWiz on an S3 removes its most awesome feature (for me anyway) onboard: SmartStay. That means that unlike when you have TW installed where the screen won't turn off as long as you are looking at it, it will turn off depending on timer.

Anyway, basically you just have to find an International SGS3 ROM since you are using an international version. look for a stock GT-I9300 ROM.

Upvote 0
Noobs shouldn't root immediately and start deleting stuff. Seriously.

Touchwiz on Samsung basically covers not only the launcher, but also the deep settings menus, the notification bar, the default SMS app (some SMS apps won't work if this is removed), the default dialer app, and etc. You get the picture. Considering that removing TouchWiz on an S3 removes its most awesome feature (for me anyway) onboard: SmartStay. That means that unlike when you have TW installed where the screen won't turn off as long as you are looking at it, it will turn off depending on timer.

Anyway, basically you just have to find an International SGS3 ROM since you are using an international version. look for a stock GT-I9300 ROM.

Thanks for clearing that up. Just to clarify; should I install a ROM from this site? Firmware archive | Samsung Updates | And should I follow this guide? Galaxy S3 Stock Firmware | Root Galaxy S3 | If so, I was thinking if just installing the newest version on the top of the list, but I probably should install the European (XP) version. What do you suggest I do?

Upvote 0
I have a Mobitel one... (I live in Europe, Slovenia). How do you suggest I find a fresh ROM?

EDIT: I don't know what exactly you mean by 'model number', I can't go into the system as you know, is there any other way to find out?

It's usually printed on the box or on the phone under the battery. It's pretty clear you have the GT-I9300.

Those links look like they will provide you with what you need. Good luck and let us know.

Upvote 0
It's usually printed on the box or on the phone under the battery. It's pretty clear you have the GT-I9300.

Those links look like they will provide you with what you need. Good luck and let us know.

Good news! I seem to have fixed it. 'upgraded' the system, and it seems to be working perfectly now, I'll of course root it again, but I've learnt my lesson indeed.

Thanks for the help guys, really really appriciate it. :>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones