1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Help - No SMS notifications or sound since KitKatSupport

1. thomo2710

thomo2710 Member

Hi,

I updated my phone to KitKat 4.4.2 this morning (Vodafone UK)

Since then i do not get any SMS notifications or alerts.

No message symbol int he top corner, nothing - although the counter does show as a text message received if i unlock the phone and look at the SMS icon.

But thats not much good if it doesnt beep at me to tell me ive got a new text!

Using the stock SMS app and looked at my default messaging app and it is set to messages.

Other alerts are working fine (stock email, whatsapp etc) and it rings fine for incoming calls.

Where have my SMS notifications and sounds gone? :(

Advertisement
    :
  2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

Did you do a factory data reset . if so you need to set the default SMS app
  3. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Well-Known Member

Have you checked in the sms app, pressing the 3 dot menu button, settings, and check if notifications is checked? Still on 4.3 myself so can't help if not that.
  4. new user

new user New Member

OP, did you find a fix for your issue?

I have the same problem - no SMS notifications or alert since the KitKat update.

Sound is on, notifications are on in the SMS app, alert plays fine when forced with the select menu, application is not blocked in notification management, all other notifications work fine. Just not SMS.
  5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Have you set a notification tone within the SMS app, or just via Settings -> Sound?

I had similar problems, but managed to fix it by setting a notification tone in the actual SMS app I am using (evolve SMS).
  6. new user

new user New Member

The former. I have also tried changing to a different tone.
  7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Have you tried an alternative SMS app?

There are a few issues with the initial KitKat update, this seems to be one of them.

I'm not sure if it will work here, but try something like SMS Popup or lightflow and let that handle the SMS notifications as opposed to the messaging app itself.

There's another bug fix update rolling out imminently (if not now), so hopefully this should be fixed.