• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help...no Sound Galaxy S5

I'm completely baffled by the silence of my S5. I can't get the external speakers of my Galaxy S5 to emit sound (alarms, ringtones, radio app). I have checked the following sound settings, cleared my cache in recovery mode, replaced external speakers, replaced usb flex cable & replaced entire midframe.

The audio jack is working. I can make calls and (hear & speak). But incoming calls do not have an audible ringtone (vibration works).

Any help is appreciated.

Perhaps I failed to properly communicate ALL the actions I have taken to resolve the sound problem.

I have already done the following actions:
- factory reset
- safe mode
- clear cache in recovery
- check sound settings
- test menu speaker (no failures, just no results, screen blinks)
- SIM card pull

I have also replaced the following parts:
- external speaker
- entire midframe
- USB port charger flex cable

Not sure what piece of hardware you are referring to. Please elaborate.

Upvote 0
I'm not that familiar with the internals of the S5 having never taken mine apart. What exactly constitutes the "midframe", does that include the mainboard?
Given all that you've done it seems that it has to be related to internal hardware that drives the speaker. Unfortunately this is not a commonly reported problem (I think you're the first I've seen here) so we can't easily refer to anyone else's experiences for a possible solution.

Upvote 0
The midframe is essentially a plastic frame that occupies space between the rear cover and the LCD display assembly. If you google "midframe galaxy s5". Google will bring up pictures of exactly what the midframe is. A picture which will be far more illustrative than any description I can provide.

Soldered or glue onto the midframe assembly are the audio jack & external speaker. So when you replace the midframe, you get a new audio jack and external speaker because they are integrated as a part of the midframe.

The midplate which is a relatively flat piece of plastic is used to attach the mother/logic board, USB daughter board, camera, vibrator, etc. as a single cohesive unit.

The assembled midplate is then inserted into the midframe. And finally you attach the rear cover to the bottom of the midframe and the LCD display to the top of the midframe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones