• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP: Original Samsung Epic 4G Android Version

I did the UNofficial upgrade of the Epic 4G to android 2.2.1 aka FROYO. However its ruined my phone and I feel like it hasn't performed as nice as everyone said it would.

How do I remove it and go back to the basic straight out of the box factory 2.1 build of android? I've tried the

1) On the home screen, tap on Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset
2) Type the password, you need to confirm by pressing Yes

I've TRIED that and it doesn't work. There's nothing there and nothing happens.

So what are my options? I just want to undo this holy mess I created it and return to the stock TouchWiz 2.1 build of android on the Epic 4G please.

Turn the power off. If your Samsung Epic 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Hold the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

The ONLY other solution I can find is the one above and I don't know if that will work or not without destroying my phone totally. So can anyone please help me out. I really need to know how to return the my phone back to its original and proper state as far as android.

And if I can do that I won't mess with it anymore. I don't care if Samsung never updates their phone. Once this contract is up I'll go HTC or some webOS phone.

Use Odin and return to stock. Instructions are in the "Epic - All things root guide" at the top of the forum and throughout numerous threads including the "DK28 question" thread.

Let us know if you can't find what you are looking for.

What is it doing or not doing that you dislike?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones