Help...Outlook Sync (new to Android)

Last Updated:

1. dman2081

dman2081 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone, I'm new to Android and coming from Blackberry. Just go the Captivate and I can't figure out how to sync my Outlook contacts and calendar. Blackberry did this through their Desktop Manager syncing. How can I do this on the Captivate? Please help. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Mickeyfreak9

Mickeyfreak9 New Member

Without buying some crazy app? I abandoned the Iphone 4 for this Please Help

3. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

4. MrTony

MrTony Banned

Glad you asked that question, it hasn't been addressed here yet. :rolleyes:

/sarc

5. Mickeyfreak9

Mickeyfreak9 New Member

I did search first and although I am sure it has been addressed many times it didn't pop up the way I was searching

After 2 hours sometimes it is just quicker to ask

6. Mickeyfreak9

Mickeyfreak9 New Member

I downloaded and installed Kies - easy enough - It looked like it was gonna be super easy -

Well first I had to figour out I had to have outlook closed to sync - or it told me I didn't have admin rights

Now It appears to be syncing but 40 minutes later (and 3rd try) and it is stuck at the 40% it was at before I said Yes I want to sync with outlook

I am on Win 7 64 bit - and Outlook 10 - so.... now what HELP PLEASE!

Oh and another little tidbit - If I try to sync calander -it says "Value does not fall within the Expected range" then and I have to exit Kies to get it to do anything -
    Oh what fun

7. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, but Googling the problem seems to indicate that Kies has issues with 64 bit systems. If it were me, I'd find a 32 bit system to try it on...and make sure you have the latest USB driver. I got it from: http://dl.dropbox.com/0/view/tflq0h0sjs3wi5l/I9000/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.exe

8. wunderhoo

wunderhoo New Member

I hope this helps. You can try buying Companionlink at Sync Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Windows Mobile and more with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT!, Palm Desktop and Google | CompanionLink Software, which will sync with outlook and other PIMS. After buying the pro version and spending another $100 on top of that to have them set up the program for me, it looks like there might have been an easier way.
    Setup a google account. Follow their instructions and import all of your outlook contacts into the gmail contacts. I had around 5,000, and it took awhile. Then do the same thing with Google Calendar and your outlook calendar. Set up the synch between your Captivate and the google account, and you should be good to go. The Companionlink tech did all this for me because I was and am syncing with outlook also... at the same time. What I just described will allow you to change from outlook to gmail for all your syncing. After playing with this for a few days, I would have been fine dumping outlook and going with just Google. I hope this helps.

9. Sledutah

Sledutah Well-Known Member

Here's what I did to get my Outlook contacts to my Captivate.

Contacts:
    Open Outlook, click on File >> Import and Export >> Export to file, Next >> CSV (DOS) >> Export from "Calenders", Next >> save to location.
    Open up your gmail account that is associated with the phone. Go to contacts, in the upper right corner is Import >> browse to the file you just saved >> Import. All of your contact will show up in your google account and be synced with your phone.

Calender:
    Search for Google Calendar sync. It will keep your outlook calender and google calendar (& android)synced automatically.

10. mash4077

mash4077 Active Member

I read somewhere you can sync google with exchange
    if thats true you could then sighn in to your google account on your phone and your done

11. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Yep, that works really well. Just runs in the background and syncs up at designated intervals and your phone syncs back downstream. I just tested a couple of events and my Smooth Calendar displayed them instantly.

Too bad there's not a matching app for contacts, though you can (I'm assuming) just send a new contact as a VCard to your gmail account.

Again, this is all assuming you don't get Kies up and running, it does a great job (that's how I initially sent all my contacts/events to my phone).

I'd love to get my bookmarks sync'ed too from Chrome. My different machines synch bookmarks and Google docs has them as well. Probably some easy way to get them on the phone.

12. Hockey37

Hockey37 Member

Try gsyncit. Works great for me. Once I open Outlook, it automatically syncs my calendar and contacts with my Google account. Been using it for a week with no problems. Costs $15, but well worth it IMO.

http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/