Help? Phone Browser Hijacking! Ideas NeededSupport

Last Updated: 2012-07-24 15:22:00
  1. todd321

todd321 New Member

I'm a little confused what to do next. The default browser on my Droid X phone seems to be hijacked. When I open the browser it starts to go to google and then flashes and I get sent to some web page http:// hphone .eu/ kulturreferat/ index1.html

I've added spaces in the address so someone doesn't try to click on it.

Anyway, steps I've taken already.

1. Rebooted
    2. Clear caches
    3. reset browser to default setting.
    4. Reset home page to google.
    5. Installed Lookout security software to scan for problems

Nothing has changed the behavior of the browser. ANY IDEAS????
    I refuse to wipe the phone clean and start over - and let the b*stards win!
    Help/ideas please. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

you could try

settings/applications/all/browser then clear data and clear cache
  3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Yes, it's the clearing of cache and data in the application manager that usually does the trick on rogue behaviors.
    dacks likes this.
  4. todd321

todd321 New Member

...yeah....that would be great. But unfortunately it didn't work.

IT IS KILLING ME that I can't beat these guys at their game...

I refuse to wipe the phone clean, on a PC I would be able to figure out how the redirect works....

todd
  5. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

You may want to try clearing the browser history and then clearing data/cache. Have you tried setting google as the homepage again?
  6. Bankswood

Bankswood Well-Known Member

Have you tried another browser to see if it gets hijacked. If it does get hijacked your friend has planted something deeper in your system than just at the browser level. You may have to factory reset. I just don't get why these bas*** have to do this. Get a friggin life.
  7. molinap1

molinap1 New Member

I have the same issue on my droid 2. I rarely use this phone for anything other than calls and work email. I tried clearing all settings, cache, etc, re setting the home page. Looks like a wipe may be necessary.
  8. pwhitman

pwhitman New Member

If anyone else is wondering/still wondering what this issue is caused by, for me it was due to the fake Chrome browser app. Apparently the developer of the app rolled it into an update to the app because he was angry that Android deleted one of his other apps from the market. Kinda weak to take it out on his app users if you ask me. I simply stopped using the app, and my browser was no longer redirecting to the rogue site. Hope this helps.
  9. ddaalan

ddaalan New Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This has been bugging me for over a month, and this was a truly simple fix.
  10. dacks

dacks New Member

Just had to add my thanks to Frisco. Th homepage on the browser on my GS iii was hijacked by about.blank. Resetting the homepage, clearing the cache had no effect. Clearing the DATA did the trick! Guess it's time to look at virus protection software.