Help, phone does not respond during callsSupport

Last Updated:

1. mandasol

mandasol Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I'm on a call my phone's screen goes off and stays off, and NONE of the buttons work - power button, volume, home, menu, back, search - nothing. The call is still going through and I can talk and hear just fine, it's that nothing else works on the phone. I can't even hang up on the call. I have to wait for the other caller to hang up first.

I've installed Keepscreen, adjusted display settings, and have done a hard reset. It still behaves the same. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Is this happening while using the speakerphone or is this an issue when it's by your face? If it's the latter it's just the proximity sensor doing it's job pull it away from any objects and give it a second and the screen will come back...

3. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

How long have you owned your phone?

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Do another hard reset and don't set up any accounts or anything. Just activate it. During the activation call, does the screen go off/on during this call (lay your finger across the top by the verizon logo)? Do the buttons respond when you type in your numbers, etc? If so, it's just a software bug. Install a few apps at a time and make a test call. If it stops responding, then you know one of the apps you just installed caused the problem. Uninstall one at a time until you find which one is doing it.

5. mandasol

I had the phone since it's release on April 29th, so I'm very familiar with the proximity sensor shutting off the screen.

This happens on all calls regardless of if the phone is up against my face or in my hand. After a hard reset I almost couldn't reprogram my phone because the screen goes black and none of the buttons work - even the power button. Since I can't hang up I have to wait till the call ends by itself. After about an hour of repeating the call many times the screen stayed on long enough on one call for me to press "1" so it would program, then the screen cut out again.

It started a couple weeks ago where the phone screen would cut off during random calls (not every call) and I would have to press power to get it back on. All of a sudden today it's doing it on every call and even the pressing power won't work.

6. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Have you tried cleaning the screen with a little windex?

7. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member

I have this same problem, but instead of my screen turning off completely, it flashes on and off. Completely rendering the phone useless. I have to do a battery pull to make it stop. Verizon said my phones defective.

8. mandasol

I found people are having this same issue in other forums.

Some reason today it's only doing it sporadically.

9. mandasol

Well, actually now that you mention it. I think this problem might have started when I put on a Zagg screen protector (which I hate). The zagg is gummy and orange peel-ish and not perfectly smooth like glass which might be causing problems with the proximity sensor. I just cut out a small section to expose the proximity sensor and it seems to be working now. I'll keep checking it throughout the day and report if that does seem to fix the problem.

10. eliza

eliza Member

same exact thing is happening to my phone...has anyone got a fix for it? i didn't get the ins so i'm stuck.