• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help help, phone wont boot

phone details : Att galaxy s3, not rooted, jellybean, no micro sd card inserted

unplugged my phone this morning, like always. Started turning off wifi, and turning off mobile data (to save battery) all of a sudden in shut down. It had never done that before. Powered back on, and it worked fine and dandy. Turned the wifi, and mobile data off again and everything was fine. About half an hour later i turned the mobile data back on, and was surfing the net (on the phone) for about 10 minutes. Everything working fine. Then all of a sudden it turned off. When i tried to reboot it, it just shows the samsung screen, shuts off and vibrates. I hit the power again...same thing. So i pull the batter for a minute or more. Hit the power button. Shows the samsung screen, then the samsung galaxy s3 logo, vibrates, and nothing? Whats going on with this? Im a newb, so keep that in mind

phone details : Att galaxy s3, not rooted, jellybean, no micro sd card inserted

unplugged my phone this morning, like always. Started turning off wifi, and turning off mobile data (to save battery) all of a sudden in shut down. It had never done that before. Powered back on, and it worked fine and dandy. Turned the wifi, and mobile data off again and everything was fine. About half an hour later i turned the mobile data back on, and was surfing the net (on the phone) for about 10 minutes. Everything working fine. Then all of a sudden it turned off. When i tried to reboot it, it just shows the samsung screen, shuts off and vibrates. I hit the power again...same thing. So i pull the batter for a minute or more. Hit the power button. Shows the samsung screen, then the samsung galaxy s3 logo, vibrates, and nothing? Whats going on with this? Im a newb, so keep that in mind

Hello Munuz. I'm wondering about apps messing with the processes that run in the background. I see that you installed a data toggle app. Is that still running? If so, try uninstalling it (after clearing its data and cache so nothing is left behind when it is uninstalled) and restarting your S3.

It would also be prudent to have a look at other apps/widgets installed with an eye toward the same thing: supportive services conflicting with the system.

It's interesting how many apps and programs run fine on the same devices owned by others, but the reason for that is most often various differences in configuration of things like weather and social networking and media stuff. Those are often the culprits in strange behaviors on these devices.

Post back what you find.. when stability returns, have a thought or two about which apps and widgets you really need, and how many of them you can configure to update manually rather than having them always running in the background. ;)

Upvote 0
Do you have access to another battery? Or can you try plugging it in and try to turn it on or a different cable?

I just hope this is not a case of sudden death syndrome. There was another thread like this just the other day about another member having an issue with the phone not turning on ....lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: found it....perhaps just read thru it if you want:)
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/690262-help-please-phone-wont-start.html

Upvote 0
okay... after some experimenting with it, i was finally able to get it to full boot up. Here is what i did

i pressed the power and menu button at the same time, until the first "samsung" screen came on, at that point i released both the menu and power buttons together, and started repeatedly pressing the menu button, once the original samsung screen went off, i stopped pressing the menu button....

then when the SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 screen came on, i restarted continuously pressing the menu button until that screen went off....then it booted up like normal....

crappy thing is, after about full functioning for 5 minutes, it just turned off...

uggggggggh

Upvote 0
okay... after some experimenting with it, i was finally able to get it to full boot up. Here is what i did

i pressed the power and menu button at the same time, until the first "samsung" screen came on, at that point i released both the menu and power buttons together, and started repeatedly pressing the menu button, once the original samsung screen went off, i stopped pressing the menu button....

then when the SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 screen came on, i restarted continuously pressing the menu button until that screen went off....then it booted up like normal....

crappy thing is, after about full functioning for 5 minutes, it just turned off...

uggggggggh

Thats "safe mode" where all apps you installed yourself are disabled and only system (built in) apps run.
That makes me think its a dodgy app youve installed.
If u can get back into safe mode (power and tapping menu) then go into settings and factory reset as fast as u can i think.
Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones