• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Help Picking A Case

I currently own the S5 G900F with the Official S-View Cover, due to the case becoming unpleasantly dirty (White to black) and the realization that the phone might not last me very long with this level of protection, Im in the search for a new case.

I need this case to be a bull coverage case, which means that it will have to have a inbuilt screen protector, for I can not apply one to save my life. It must also be as compact as possible, while offering great levels of protection, as I have small hands.

Cases I have been looking at are the Otterbox Defender Series (S5), and the i-Blason ArmourBox

OtterBox - My concerns about this case, is the 'Echo' that certain members of the community suffer, although someone has 'found a cure' for this, which is to find and peel away hidden stickers inside the case, I am not sure, as I have only heard of it once. This is a very popular case and seams to offer the most protection. It also adds quite some size to the phone, which may become annoying.

i-Blason - This is not a very popular case, but seams to be thinner and smaller than the OtterBox. It is cheaper, but price does not really matter as both cases are competitively price in the UK. It seams to offer good protection.

One of my biggest worries with both cases is the functionality of the FingerPrint Unlock, this is something I use and take pride of on my mobile, and would hate to have to use it, would these cases allow for the use?

Secondly, the inbuilt screen protectors, is there any 'give' as in, does it feel like you are not touching the screen?

Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

When I bought the S5 phones for my wife and I, we decided not to put them in cases and decided not to put screen protectors on them.

-The glass is Gorilla Glass (TM) and should be relatively safe.
-In the three years we had the S2 phones, neither of us ever dropped the phones.
-The phone is water resistant (not water proof) so we're not too terribly worried about that.
-The cost of the screen protectors and cases would have been about $100 per phone, give or take.

Maybe I'm taking too much of a risk with a pair of pricey pocket computers but I think we're okay with them. I just hate to bulk up the phone and make it twice as big without really needing to.

--Wag--

Upvote 0
Cases I have been looking at are the Otterbox Defender Series (S5), and the i-Blason ArmourBox
I don't like the Defender as it's too bulky but I do have the Otterbox Symmetry case. It's thinner and doesn't have a screen cover so it still feels like a bare phone except for the slightly bigger feel. There are several styles of Otterbox cases. I liked this one the best and it works great. No issues with echo. I like the Speck Candyshell cases too, but found the shiny cases scratch too easily so opted for this matte case. I'm a happy camper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones