• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP please I am so lost

"do a system wipe"

Don't mean to hijack the thread but sure don't want to start a new one when the topic is right here.

I rooted last night. I will have time to try roms tomorrow. When i do a system wipe, will I lose all my settings? There are probably a dozen things I have tweaked to get good battery life, will I need to do all of that again every time I try a roms? Will I still have bookmarks, text messages, etc?

I am currently stuck on the white HTC evo screen when I try to do my nandroid, so I know I need to disc that and figure out etc wtf is going on with that before proceeding, but I didn't have time too research many threads today, I'll be doing that 1St thing in the morning.
When trying new Roms you will need to do a system wipe and you will lose everything. Some people use Titanium backup to save there apps everything. I personally do not as it sounds like it causes a lot of issues. You might be able to save texts which should not cause conflicts....Maybe someone else who uses it can chime in on that.

When flashing an updated Rom from the same developer, a lot of time they will tell you that you can flash over what you are running. Again, this only applies if it is an updated Rom of the same developer that you are currently running and they will tell you if you need to wipe. Different developer = always wipe clean!!!!!!

Also, a lot of the the custom Roms will come with custom kernels when you flash it and will be tweaked for better battery from the start.

Are you stuck trying to boot from a nandroid backup???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones