• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help Please! Phone won't start!

Dezmondo

May 10, 2010
I've had my Galaxy S3 for a little under 6 months, and until now everything has been fine, but then last night it just suddenly stopped working.

I have it plugged into a charging cradle overnight, and when I went to sleep the battery was at about 16%.
I woke up this morning and the phone was off, and completely unresponsive to the power button, or any combination (e.g. power+home+vol up), just like the battery was dead. I tried taking the battery out and putting it back in, and I've tried with a different battery that I know is fully charged, but no luck. When I plug it in to charge through the cradle, or directly, the charging light doesn't even come on.
It's rooted, but I'm not running a custom ROM.

So, is there anything I can do?
Or am I resigned to taking it back to the shop - if I do will the fact I've rooted it affect anything; presumably they can't tell if the phone won't even power up?

This wont kill you.
When you put your tongue on the metal parts of the battery, can you feel that theres definately charge in it?

If you return the phone, you could be lucky and its dead enough that they wont know its rooted but id make sure id tried everything a sammy or carrier tech would try first to get it booted.
Good luck mate :thumbup:

P.s, have you tried safety mode after giving a good charge using the wire (not the cradle)?
I think you get safety mode (someone correct me if im wrong) by pressing power then tap tap tapping the menu button?
It basicly boots the phone with only system apps enabled.
In your case though, since youre not even getting it into recovery, that suggestion was probably pretty crap lol sorry.
Good tip for anyone that cant get past the boot animation though :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Do you think the fact that its rooted will be discoverable if it is SDS mate?

They won't be able to say it was rooted, because they won't be able to boot the phone. They will use hardware to load new firmware and load the fresh OS. You phone will be wiped out clean and set back to factory stock.

Given it's a quite widely spread problem, I don't believe anyone will even question whether it could be a result of rooting or related to it in anyway, or that it was rooter at all. The moment you say you left it over night and woke up to a dead phone, is the story shared by very large number of customers, so the SDS is the first thing that comes to mind :)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So its really that wide spread?
Anyone got a link to an article or anything about it?
Have Sammy commented?
Does it potentialy affect all s3 versions?

It must be costing Sammy a fortune if even a few % of units are affected.
Knowing my luck, itl happen when the warranty runs out lol

In addition to Mikestony's link, I would like to say that I personally came across 11 devices from S3 and Note 2, which suffered the SDS. But we all got our phones as soon as they were released, and it is a specific to certain chips and firmware version of the 16GB model.

We also experience a crack in the bezel in all 7 of our Galaxy S3, each in the identical spot, less than an inch under the volume rocker, and we were not able to claim it from Samsung, as their defense was; "an accidental damage", even tho I piled up over 50 screenshots from various sites, from users around the world, facing exact same issue. Clearly a manufacturing defect.

My note 2 died pretty much in the same time as the s3, slightly more than two months from the first day of use.
Regardless, I truly enjoy the device and I do keep my stuff well backed up, so beside being without one phone for two weeks, it didn't really matter. I just hope this will be addressed in the future devices, which I'm planning on investing into, my hard earned cash :)

Take it to Samsung, and please let us know what is the outcome.

Have a good day
regards
Seba

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones