HELP PLEASE! TEXT GLITCH, VIRUS or SOMETHING ELSE?

Last Updated:

1. aerajan

aerajan Active Member This Topic's Starter

Today, my girlfriend had the strangest thing happen in text messaging I've ever seen. She started getting an error message something like this
    92320: The message you're trying to send can't be delivered.
    Please enter a valid 10 digit phone number or sms short code.
    MSG:2114
    Now this wasn't the message word for word as I don't have her phone in front of me but I know it was something very similar and the first series of numbers 92320 and 2114 are correct. One message in itself could've just been a fluke but she got the same message 97 times in less than a half an hour and then so frequently that the phone was unusable unless in airplane mode. Sprint Tech support couldn't resolve the issue over the phone so she went to a corporate Sprint store and after an hour troubleshooting the phone, gave her another one. She's already started getting the same message but it isn't as frequently as it was on the other phone. Actually it reminded me of email bombs that used to be frequent years ago when people would send hundreds of emails to your email address. She hadn't even recently sent texts to anyone when this message came through and those that she sent went through fine.Furthermore, master resets have seemed to do nothing. We both have the Sprint Hero but she's only had hers for a week and I installed 2 programs on her phone from the Android Market that I use myself: Bump (Wanted to see if it worked) and Phone Locator. She is a frequent user of Facebook while I'm not so I don't know if she could've gotten something on there. Does anyone have the slightest idea of why this could be happening or has heard of this before either on the Hero or another phone? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

sounds like a network glitch, not really a phone glitch.

try deleting that text from your phone, because maybe your phone has a glitch and is sending the text continuously. and checking your account to see if that many texts have been sent out by you.

3. aerajan

It could be a network glitch but wouldn't I have the same thing happen on my Hero if that were the case? I did try deleting it from her phone but it keeps coming back.

4. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

ah, I misread, I thought it was from a text you had sent her.

Did she get a new number when she got the Hero? I wonder if it's a network glitch regarding that phone number or something. I'm just shooting in the dark here

5. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Maybe try to blacklist that #. Not sure if it is available from the stock messaging app, but if you go to the market and get "Handcent" , you can balcklist it. Just a thought

6. aerajan

Thanks, I do appreciate any ideas. She didn't get a new number at all. It's really odd. I tried doing research to see if anyone else was having similar issues and couldn't find anything. She hasn't synced her Hero with her computer either so that couldn't have done anything.

7. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

Try blocking third party text, it could be a spam text, call Sprint CS and they can do it.

8. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

9. aerajan

First, thanks to all of you who took some time to reply to this post and give me some ideas. I really appreciate it.

AndroidWorks, thank you so much for taking the time to post the information you found. My research didn't bring up anything but I didn't look in the Sprint forums either like I should've. Lol I usually just do Google searches then search here. Btw. I did read what the link and it was useful. Surprisingly, whatever glitch or problem my girlfriend had on her Hero has seemed to go away before I got a chance to try out anything.

Thanks,
    Andy

10. Greebe

Greebe Member

Sounds like an issue I had a month ago. Called CS, gave the error code etc. they gave only two options 1. Master Reset or 2. Take to store and have them resolve (=Master Reset). Personally I thought it was network related and not phone as 2 were affected. Further toward the end of our troubleshooting CS admitted our local tower was out the night before said issues arose.
    Refused the store fixing idea as they could only replace if a master reset doesn't resolve.
    The next morning error was gone from both phones

11. aerajan

Hey Greebe. Thanks so much for the info. That makes a whole lot of sense actually because my girlfriend stopped getting the texts the next day.