• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International Tegra 3] Help Please

RobAmb

Jan 12, 2011
I have a HTC one x and I wanted to get rid of some bloatware and just try and mod the phone a bit. I managed to unlock the bootlocker and fiddles about a bit in there but when I went to recovery it would re start and a red triangle would appear. Then I think I flashed it with something called "install insecure windows" which it appeared to do. Now it will only restart and stop at the HTC quietly brilliant bit and it wont connect to my PC, so I am stuck and in need of some help please. I am fairly new to this as I expect you realise.

Rob

I have a HTC one x and I wanted to get rid of some bloatware and just try and mod the phone a bit. I managed to unlock the bootlocker and fiddles about a bit in there but when I went to recovery it would re start and a red triangle would appear. Then I think I flashed it with something called "install insecure windows" which it appeared to do. Now it will only restart and stop at the HTC quietly brilliant bit and it wont connect to my PC, so I am stuck and in need of some help please. I am fairly new to this as I expect you realise.

Rob

Hello and welcome to the forums, Rob.

I hope I'm understanding your post in assuming you've rooted your device, unlocked the bootloader and flashed a ROM.

I am wondering which recovery you're using (CWM, etc), or are you trying to access the stock recovery via button combination?

I want to assist you further, and I'm sure many others here do as well :), but we need more info as to what you did and what software you used to do it.

Also, which HTC X do you have, the Rogers & S4, International Tegra 3 or AT&T (Rogers and AT&T are designated "XL").

Upvote 0
Ok,

well thanks for your reply.I am new to this and not an expert in fact a complete novice so please excuse my dumbness but I am english and live in the UK, so my HTC One X is supplied by 3 and I guess set up by them. I first started off by going to HTCDev.com and learnt how to unlock the bootloader which I believe I did. I updated the drivers on my PC for the HTC. I then downloaded a zip file and had to extract 3 files and put them in a folder named Android and using the command prompt obtained an unlock code, I think this was all to do with the bootloader. I then tried to do a few things flash roms but did not seem to have much success.

The thing I did that has put me in this predicament was to do with this....r3-endeavor- insecure boot androot, where I flashed the "install-insecure-windows" batch file. There was a comment made which I only noticed after doing it all that said it had bricked his phone as it was out of date.....

So now it wont start up or connect to me PC but I can still get to the bootloader.

Upvote 0
Apologies, I was busier than I'd thought I'd be.

Before I start typing out a load of instructions, can you let me know exactly what you have done so far to get to where you are now? You mentioned you've tried some ROMs etc, can you link to them? Do you still have the zip files on your SD Card?

This could be a potentially easy fix than having you jump through hoops. :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Bit vague about that really, any zip file I had I extracted to a folder on my laptop desktop but I have now deleted those.....ooops.... I have now found the site I went to....http://www.knowyourmobile.com/htc/htc-one/17426/how-root-your-htc-one-x....but the link to xdadeveloper site where I think I downloaded the zip file from does not appear to work. Anyway I unzipped it to a folder on my desktop and using the cmd prompt in the folder did the dirty deed......Sorry for being so vague but I hope this gives you some idea of what has happened.

Upvote 0
Apologies, I was busier than I'd thought I'd be.

This should get you up and running with a custom ROM, we'll choose a standard Sense based one for now, then you can start messing about with alternatives later, the important thing is to get you back in action.

1. Head Here: Techerrata Downloads - Browsing endeavoru
2. You'll need an older version which will allow you to mount as USB storage in recovery, look at 2.3.x or 2.4.x (2.4 might be best)
3. Place it in the folder you have all the other HTC stuff (the unlock token, fastboot.exe etc).
4. Rename the img file to recovery.img (don't type recovery.img, just type recovery and it will add the extension itself).
5. Boot your phone to the bootloader, select Fastboot, connect the phone to your PC.
6. Open a command prompt, navigate to the folder you have the recovery.img file and type

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

7. Reboot the phone back in to the bootloader, using the volume keys, select recovery and with any luck, you should load in to TWRP?
8. Head here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1562603
9. Download a file called Android Revolution HD 21.0 (Jelly Bean)
10. Place the file on your desktop, and open (don't extract) the zip file and look for a file called boot.img
11. Close the zip and copy boot.img to the folder with the fastboot files in it.
12. Head back to your phone, head to the mounts and storage menu, then select mount USB Storage. Hopefully your phone should eventually appear as a USB drive on your PC. (if it doesn't things could get complicated:() When/if it does, copy the ROM zip file to the root of your storage.
13. Once done, unmount the phone in TWRP
14. Head to the backup section and take a backup
15. Reboot back to your bootloader, head to fastboot open a command prompt and navigate to the fastboot folder again and flash the boot image using the command:

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

Then

Code:
fastboot erase cache

16. Go back to recovery, select wipe, then factory reset and wipe the cache and dalvik cache too.
17 Back to the main menu in TWRP, select Install, Install Zip from SD Card and then select the ARHD.zip you downloaded in step 8.
18. The install process should start, just select all the default options in Aroma, ensuring you do a full wipe if it asks.
19. Let it do it's thing and when it asks you to reboot, do it.
20. Let it boot and hopefully, it should take you in to your new ROM (bear in mind 1st boot could take up to 10 minutes).

If that doesn't work, let me know, I'll have to ask someone else to chime in. A lot of that is done from memory, I gave my One X to the Mrs and she's not been about for me to let me have a play.

Upvote 0
If your phone says Fastboot USB, when you're in the bootloader and it's connected to the PC, you should be ok. There's an option whilst you're in recovery to mount the phone as USB storage which means your phone should appear as a disk when attached to your PC.

If it doesn't appear as a drive whilst in recovery, you might still be able to sort things, but it'll take a little more work.

Do you want me to get one of out guides to give the instructions a once over, just in case?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I went too Fastboot and plugged the usb lead in and it said Fastbootusb....I thought it was connecting to my PC but no icon showed up only a disk drive but when you click on it it says insert disc.....i gave the cmd prompt a go with the recovery image but it said error:cannot load recovery image....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones