Help please

1. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

My phone just updated this morning, I don't know what version I was on before, but now my root is gone.

I used Odin to put L720VPUAMDC_L720SPTAMDC_L720VPUAMDC_HOME.tar on my phone the last time I rooted.

But now I am worried that something has changed, and if I use that to put it back on my phone, and regain the root; something will go wrong and bam, brick.

Any assistance would be great.

This is the about info

Software Version L720VPUAMDL

Hardware 720.08

Model SPH-L720
    Android V 4.2.

Baseban Versiion L720VPUAMDL
    Kernal Version
    3.4.0-529760
    se.infra@SEP-107 #1
    Sat Ap 27 18:12:21 KST 2013

Build #: JDQ39.L720VPUAMDL
    SELinux status
    Permissiove

This is a sprint device.

Advertisement
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

If you've had the phone a while I'm surprised you survived this long on MDC. MDL is still one update away from the current version. You might as well go to the Software update menu and download the final update to MF9. At that point make sure you back up your personal files or have sync enabled for the proper items. Many users have to factory reset after the update to clean out some software issues.

From there, you can use QBKing's site and video (see sig) to root MF9.
  3. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

I got the phone in the beginning of August, rooted near the end of August. This just happened this morning.
  4. Darnell0216

My wife and I got the update notices the minute the phones came out of the boxes back in August. Either way, you should go ahead and have the phone finish installing all the updates necessary before going further.
  5. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

I do Update Firmware, and get no update available.

So now its updated, should I be safe to use QBKing at this point?
  6. Darnell0216

Your phone must be on a slow provisioning list to just get MDL but not pick up MF9 yet which was released in July. Give this a try first: QbKing77 | Your Tech Simplified, then bounce through his site for the MF9 root tutorial.
    Dariuas likes this.
  7. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

Oh, So I am not running the most up to date?
  8. Darnell0216

Not yet. MF9 is the latest firmware version for Sprint but for some reason your provisioning is running behind.
    Dariuas likes this.
  9. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

Great, so I'm going to do that. Will I lose data, or is this just like an OTA?
  10. Darnell0216

Just like the standard OTA. No data will be wiped.
  11. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

Great! I am now on MF9; so what should I use for the root now?
  12. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

So I tried that, now I get Firmware upgrade encoutered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again.
  13. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

So I am running odin and putting L720VPUAMDC_L720SPTAMDC_L720VPUAMDC_HOME.tar.md5 to see if I can at least get in to my phone to use it.

God I hope this is the right thing to do lol
  14. Darnell0216

Which part gave you that error? Upgrading the firmware manually or rooting?

Hopefully you were able to pull that off successfully. The phone has built in security that does not like downgrades and some people have lost their phones in the process. Once this security feature is tripped, it locks your phone into an unsalvageable brick.
  15. Dariuas

Dariuas Member

I got my phone back to normal, but there's no root to it.

That error happened almost as soon as I hit start on ODIN
  16. Darnell0216

Odd... There's almost no reason for the root process to produce an error. As long as the file is in the proper window and only autoreboot is checked, it should've gone off without a hitch.

Well at least you're still up and running. I don't know where to find a root for MDC anymore though.