• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help - Power button stuck

Crosley123

May 12, 2010
HTC Incredible from Verizon. Wife's phone has a power button that is stuck in the down position and will only work 1 out of 4 tries. This happened to my phone as well but it was early in the warranty period so we just swapped it for a new Incredible. Doubt it will be that easy now, 18 plus months later.

Help?

I've cleaned the area gently, verified it is not the case interfering with the movement, etc. It clearly is a hardware issue.

Two questions:
1. Can this part be easily swapped? And will Verizon do it in store? If not, can I order it and do it?
2. Is there an app in the Market that will allow her to use some other button instead of the power button? It would have to be a very simple app as my wife is not technical at all.

Thanks!

There have been quite a few users with your same issue here, some people were able to fix it with compressed air. Just because you can't see the grime, doesn't mean it isn't there. There are also some cleaning solutions made for electronics that may help break up the dirt.
Or you can fix the phone yourself with parts available online (I've never seen the power button alone, but you can replace the whole part of the phone the power button is attached to).

there are also places that will fix the phone for you or you can send it to HTC to fix.

Lastly, there are widgets and apps that can turn off the screen/shut down the phone for you.

Upvote 0
If the phone is out of warranty and you don't mind tinkering with it, you can take the red inner cover off to reveal the actual switch on the motherboard. There are videos on the operation and it is very easy (do a search). You will need a T6 (if I remember correctly) to remove the back cover. Remove the battery cover. Take out the SD card. There are 4 screws, one at each corner (the bottom left is covered with a tiny sticker), remove them. Then gently pry off the Red back cover (there are little Black tabs that stick out from the front casing - pry those slightly outward while pulling the Red cover.

Once the cover is removed, you can try cleaning the Black button and the actual switch under the button. Be gentle on the actual switch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones