Help properly configuring my firewall...

Last Updated:

1. dieriding

dieriding New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi!

So I have a Sprint Hero and at home I have a wifi network with a firewall set at the highest level of security. I've noticed that a number of apps seem to work better when I turn the phone's wifi off.

This has led me to believe that my firewall is not configured properly for my hero.

I'm definitely not an expert, so I'm not sure about the proper terms here, but I do know how to configure my firewall a little. I read somewhere the app market needs port 5228, and when I opened it that seemed to work better.

But I'm having problems finding very much information on what else I should allow. Any help / comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    -Graham

Advertisement
  2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

This site is not really for technical issues outside of the Hero, but I would need more information on your network to help. Specifically how you setup the wireless network.

3. ronbien

ronbien Well-Known Member

If it works better with it turned off then you were not using it in the first place. If the phone thinks it has Wi-Fi it will use it instead of the phone network. So yours was trying to use it to little avail. When you turned it off you were saying, just use the phone network and it worked better.
    Some things to look into, is your system B or G? It can't use N.
    Make sure your settings allow the phone. Such as if you are doing MAC filtering, or something likie that.
    Good Luck!