• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! RAZR MAXX HD battery life is terrible

Roadhammer72

Jul 8, 2013
I got this phone almost brand new about a month ago and at first the battery life was good, 13-15 hours and I'm a heavy user, browsing, tapatalk, Facebook, etc....now I can drain my battery life from 100% to 15% in a matter of about four to six hours, what's going on? Anything I can do to fix it?

Ok here's what I've got, what does this mean?

ude3e4eg.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, it's showing that the processor is being used pretty heavily, it's not hitting deep sleep all too much. Is there any app that you've only started using recently? Something is keeping the phone from sleeping. Basically whatever it is, it's constantly using your processor and draining your battery. You can see it where the maximum frequency of 1512MHz is used 10% of the time, and the 910MHz frequency is locked in at 17% of the time.

Check your data usage as well, maybe you have an app thats constantly syncing in the background and burning through data.

Give the phone a reboot and then check back on CPU Spy, the data can be a little off because it accounts for all processor states used since last boot, so the usages can be a little off.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that Battery page Screenshot isn't of much use right now, as it is over such a short period of time on/off a charger. Try to get that same screen after a few hours of your normal (heavy) usage with it having not bee plugged in during that period. That will give a much better look at what is actually causing your drainage.

Right now it looks like you have your screen set to never sleep, and that can definitely be a HUGE drain on the battery, but such a short period can cause very skewed appearances, so that may not be the case.

Upvote 0
That is one mean wake lock. I noticed that it started to nose dive where your signal charter completely vanished. Were you in a total dead zone or put on airplane mode?

I really don't think that's the case. (Speaking specifically about the wake-lock)

On the point about the instant drop in battery life towards the end of the graph, that looks to be ~5% drop in ~5 minutes, and that gap indicates the phone having been turned off. Looks like that is just an error in the reading of the battery level. (A quirk if you will) or perhaps the phone is taking one HECK of a lot of power to boot.

This guy is a heavy user, if you look at the awake compared to screen on, it looks about right, not a huge difference.

What you may want to check is sync settings. For e-mail, facebook, twitter, and other accounts/apps of that nature. Set those sync settings to closer to an hour instead of 5-15 minutes. This will keep the phone in "deep sleep" more consistently when the phone is not in active use.

Upvote 0
Three hours, from 90% to 12%

utu6uhy8.jpg

e7ydeme9.jpg

WOW. The battery was draining even when you were charging! That's either a seriously rogue app, or a crappy battery.

Easiest thing to do is factory reset.

Something more difficult is to get an app like battery battery stats and you might be able to see what's causing the battery drain.

Or, you could uninstall each app one by one. That'd take a while, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones