• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! RAZR MAXX HD battery life is terrible

try booting into safe mode. it disables 3rd party apps until you restart the phone again. that should help figure out if it's something you installed.

hold power key until get power off menu. touch and hold power off, which will prompt to reboot into safe mode. confirm.

you don't lose anything. if your battery is fine in safe mode, then it's something you installed that's ripping through your battery. if it's not ok, then yes- factory reset. just make sure you disable "automatic restore", then disable "backup my data". IN THAT ORDER. if restore is greyed, check backup, then uncheck restore... that way background data isn't auto loaded when you sign in to your gmail account.

another thing I noticed is the really weak signal. that'll kill the battery, too. I've had a fully charged battery go dead on my RMHD in less than 10hours of NO use when I was in a bad coverage area... through my normal usage, I can easily get 30-35 hours without wifi.

Reactions: mkotsis8705
Upvote 0
In safe mode right now, battery life dropped from over 60% to 42% almost instantly, what the hell?

ysyva6u8.jpg

Upvote 0
Holy hell that looks like it just gets worse every time. I'm with jhawk, I think a factory data reset is in order, looks to be at a last resort situation now. I don't believe I've heard of a phone battery catastrophically failing, but I guess it's possible (I'm not an expert, I'm just guessing on that), but the data reset will give you the best idea of whether it's the hardware, or the software thats killing you bettery.

Admittedly I don't use my screen nearly as much as you do so I don't know if that battery life is on par with what it should be, but it sounds just about atrocious to me.

Upvote 0
With regular use I get between 2 and 2.5 days of battery with one charge. One thing I've noticed is that when I charge my phone with the wall charger instead of the usb charger I get much better battery life. Not sure why, but it works that way with my phone. How do you charge your phone?

And how do you drain your battery in 4-6 hours? Most morning I use Pocket Casts for 3-4 hours, and recently I've been using navigation for about one hour (not plugged in to car charger, screen always on with no dimming) and I might use 20%-25% of my battery. I do the same on the way home. In between, I'm at work so I only use it on my breaks. I always have Wifi and GPS on (and all location reporting). On a day like this, I usually get home with about 30%-35% battery left. If I don't use navigation, I get home with about 60% left, and don't bother charging it that night.

Something is either seriously wrong with your battery, or you are using the phone non stop for 4-6 hours with the screen on and with high brightness. Or you downloaded way too many apps and they are all running in the background.

Upvote 0
I got this phone almost brand new about a month ago and at first the battery life was good, 13-15 hours and I'm a heavy user, browsing, tapatalk, Facebook, etc....now I can drain my battery life from 100% to 15% in a matter of about four to six hours, what's going on? Anything I can do to fix it?

I have been reading this thread with fascination and then went back to the original message ... what does "almost brand new" mean?

Did you get this used from someone? If you did ... did you do a Factory Data Reset as the FIRST thing after getting it? If not, you have no idea what state it started in. Do the Factory Data Reset now.

You have now removed all apps that you added. Did you do a Factory Data Reset after that? If not ... why not the impact would seem to be pretty small?

Ignoring your agreements and replacing the battery yourself is a subject for other forums at other websites.

If I was to guess ... my guess would be ... used phone with something installed on it you don't know about ... do a Factory Data Reset ... or defective battery that requires phone top be serviced.

When getting a used or refurbished phone from anyone ... start by first doing a Factory Data Reset ... it is the only way to protect yourself from the errors (or dishonesty) of others.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Also, I uninstalled every single app I downloaded except for tapatalk and Facebook, its better, but still about 6-7 hours and its on the charger. Dimmed my screen as well

I use both those apps as well. Set both to not do anything in the backgroud through the settings menu.

For FB, that means turning off chat, NEVER refreshing, turn off location for messenger, and don't sync photos. You'll still get notifications when things happen on your wall or people message you. The refresh just refreshes your news feed in the background, which seems unnecessary IMO. It refreshes anyway when you open the app.

For Tapatalk, uncheck receive notification. And uncheck admin broadcasts. This will prevent Tapatalk from constantly waking up your phone.

Also curious, what are your screen setting? Brightness level, display off timer, etc. At the start of the thread, your screen % is at 87%. I've had my phone off the charger for an hour and it's at 63%. After a couple days of normal use, I'd say my screen % is around 40%-50%. Your 87% level seems crazy high.

Upvote 0
"Almost brand new" means my dad got it and didn't like it so he gave it to me, I'm going to do the factory reset as soon as I get home today and report back with my findings

Good.

After the Factory Data Reset don't add apps. If you have the same problem then it is hardware that needs to be repaired.

You will finally know what the problem is (and may correct it with the Factory Data Reset).

If you don't have the problem one of the apps may be the instigator ... add one ... run with it for a while ... prove that it is OK ... then run the next one.

Go slow.

... Thom

Upvote 0
So ... you are not root-ed and you did a Factory Data Reset and added no apps and the battery is still draining too fast.

If you go to System settings | Developer options is it On? If it is turn it Off and reload. See if it makes a difference.

If that was not the case then I think you have a defective battery and need to get it serviced.

... Thom

Reactions: Lightninrod
Upvote 0
Based on the screenshots, it could be that you are going from 3G to 4G and back, that could be what is draining your battery.

Nope...that's not it...I'm OTR truck driver too, and am always in and out of signal areas...my phone still last 2 days on a charge and I'm a heavy user too.

It will last 3 days if you set up a Smart Action to disable data when the screen is off...I find that useful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones