Help Root 2.1 OTA that has SPRecovery

Last Updated:

1. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Im new to this. I just got my droid yesterday, but Im no idiot when it comes to computers. I even did some adb commands for the first time ever late last night.(they mostly failed )

I followed instructions in another thread on how to install sprecovery on a 2.1 OTA phone without rolling it back to 2.0.1 So Right now I have 2.1 OTA phone with SPRecovery.

My question is what do I do next ? Install a custom Rom? I understand there is no way yet to root the 2.1 OTA. ( I found a couple posts on how do so but the update.zips did nothing for me)

IF installing a custom ROM is the answer then can someone help me with that? will it install on my phone that has 2.1 OTA with SPRecover? what is a good ROM? I dont want something thats gonna lessen my GPS as I have read some roms do. Most of all Idont want to Brick my phone.

btw I love this droid and Im excited to be on the android forums:)

Please help.

Advertisement
  2. ilmar72

Also I do have the SU app now. IT however has nothing in it its just black. when I try to run a program which needs su permission nothing happens. SU does not prompt for access

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Just install a custom ROM. For SPRecovery I would try maybe Bugless Beast or ChevyNo1's ROM, just get the .zip file and rename it to update then place it on the root of your sdcard and reboot into recovery and choose install update.zip.

ilmar72 likes this.
  4. ilmar72

even though I have ese81?

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Think of it this way, the recovery and the actual system image are not really connected.

Once you've replaced the stock recovery with SPRecovery (as you have), it doesn't really matter what you have on your system partition (in your case, ESE81), because SPRecovery will let you write over it.

So, yes, installing a custom ROM is the easiest way to gain root, because it will install a new system image that has all the superuser stuff already preinstalled.

ilmar72 likes this.
  6. ilmar72

cool I jsut did a backup.

Do you know which bugless beast is the newest ? 1.2? I googled it . not really sure but thats the one I found

7. ilmar72

also I dont want to lose anything important like GPS functionality or market like I have read people posting about.

Gonna flash this now anyway

8. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member

Thye most recent real release is .9 there is leaked v1.0 on the forums here.

ilmar72 likes this.
  9. ilmar72

hmm. the one I installed does say 1.2 . even in the about section in the phone.

ITs rooted now . the phone seems very laggy. and my Home key does not work. Perhaps I should find the .9 update?

10. ilmar72

very annoying with my home key not working. Im not sure how to get back to my home screens

11. ilmar72

ok. Where can I get the proper bugless beast ROM?

12. ilmar72

ok installed .9 Home button still does not work. Everything else seems fine. any ideas?

13. ilmar72

ok I did a restore and Im back to normal :)

14. ilmar72

So I tried bb v.9. My phone would not boot. It started a. Boot loop. Same thing happened with chevy1s rom. Any ideas?

The only rom that booted was the. 1.2 , but I had problems with it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

15. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

You need to wipe system data and cache before flashing a new ROM. That is most likely the cause of your boot loops. To do this with SPRecovery you need to install the Android SDK to get ADB. It works through a CMD window on your PC. If that sounds like greek to you then I recommend downloading ROM Manager from the market and then flash Clockwork Recovery with it. After it's done hit reboot to recovery and then go to the partitions menu and do wipe data cache and system 2 or 3 times each (for good measure). After that hit install .zip from sdcard and navigate to the Bugless Beast v.9 .zip on your sd card and install it.

ilmar72 likes this.
  16. ilmar72

I have SDK and have used ADB. I guess Ill search for the commands to wipe data and cache.
    Doing these formats is not going to effect my backup/restore. correct?

I went ahead and did the fomats. adb would not let me format the system or chache. . I formated the cache through the SPR REcovery.

Loaded bb v.9

IT WORKS !!!!
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

btw. do I have to do a sytem wipe now everytime I want to load a new ROM?