HELP! SD card issues!Support

Last Updated: 2009-03-12 06:08:37
  1. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

ok so i have a kingston 1gb micro sd

the sd card taht came with the phone was defected.

now when i connect my phone to my computer(mac) it doesnt come up at all. but if use it as usb storage its fine...

anyone help?

Advertisement
  2. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Hmm... That's a weird one. How are you connecting the SD card to your Mac?
  3. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

right now im using a micro sd card SD adapter. to a sb card reader via usb

basically by a usb card reader.

but its a hassle to take the mem card out and stuff.i want to hook up and go form my phone.

but the comp doesnt even read it! but it can save pics to it and play music from it. but i cant connect it to my comp.

p.s. brand new replacement phone btw. iono how that matters but it might.

i reformatted the card too. i made the specific folders. i need to format this card to the phone specifically
  4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Couple of things... Do Sd card swaps only with power completely off. Make sure the the little cover is closed completely ... or the phone will not recognize that there is a SD card present ... Next go to your settings and under SD Card & phone settings unmount/eject card then power down, remove card and close cover, reboot phone, after phone is rebooted you should have no errors. Insert MicroSD card and close cover ... reboot and go into Settings ... select SDCard & phone Settings the Total space and available should show on screen now ... if it doesnt try pushing the SDCard cover to make sure it is seated securely once that is in place it should appear.

I have had 1GB, 8GB, & currently and using a 16GB in the phone without issues. Good Luck !
  5. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

the phone reads the card just fine

its when i connect to my laptop i see nothing.

nothing pops up on my screen and my phone doesnt recognize its plugged it
  6. justjimjpc

possibly a bad cable ????
  7. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

tried 2 cables didnt work

im running a mac? would that be a problem?

but if i use my phone as usb storage its fine if not it doesnt even show up!

its weird!
  8. justjimjpc

I think the Mac might have and Issue ... Think I would get the T-Mobile Tech team to get you answers or have them refer the issue to Google/Android. I am assuming you have check the cable and phone combo on a Friends PC (windows) as awful as that might seem for a Macker :)
  9. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

im gunna have to check it out

but my house only runs mac and linux : /

gotta see if i can use windows somewhere

thanks alot bro
  10. justjimjpc

NP man ... maybe at the Library ...
  11. psycobare

psycobare New Member

Just curious, since I seen no mention of it, did you Mount the SD Card? My computer won't recognize it until I mount the SD card then everything works like it should.

Now if I could just get it to play my videos..
  12. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

mount?

like put it in the phone?

p.s. the video player app from the market works pretty well.
  13. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

update

just came back form tmobile store. had to return a hard shell case, a clip broke.

the guy told me if im running from older firmware ineed to switch it to usb storage. in the new updates you can plug it an and it will recognize it.

not sure because i can remember the first time i hooked it up to my mac and it worked then now it doesnt.
  14. justjimjpc

if the process was followed that i decribed above in this thread .... then the SD drive will be automatically mounted when inserted and the cover closed ... the settings submenu would only offer the option to unmount...

gogita didnt say if he was able to test the cables, phone and SD in a windows system yet .... ??? that is what I had suggested as a final test of the existing components ...
  15. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

the phone mounts the card just fine, reads it and everything. i can do anything with it

the only problem is i wanna see my phone on my computer.

and the only way to do that is to set my sd card as a usb drive. i have to click it if i want my computer to recognize it and unlick after : /

i need the update!!!! tmobile hurry up!
  16. justjimjpc

"GOGITA" if i understand you now .... you might want to look at the SD Drive Contents without tethering it to the PC .... there are a couple of market apps (although) there is only limited viewing of file types ... however if you are wanting to use the computer to view the SD drive while in the phone then the only option is to unmount and USB view it ... I am not sure if the drive system of the phone is ever going to permit Dual mounting ( by phone and PC simultaneously ????) But we can only wish .... about the same as wishing for Root access and Storing apps on the SD Drive ...
  17. gogita502

gogita502 Active Member

the the only way was to unmount it to view it

well i need that update!

thanks again man!
  18. justjimjpc

have you use the apss "Bender" or "Android File Manger" to view the files and folders on the SD ... these allow some limited view of file type like text, or playing video, viewing pics , mp3's you can long-click and then open for playing ..etc
  19. wanderlustqueen

wanderlustqueen New Member

I'm having similar issues. My G1 sees the card fine. When I plug the phone into my PC, it recognizes it and assignes a drive letter, but it won't let me view the card. Pmompts to "insert disk". I've even unmounted from the phone, the plugged it in, still no dice.
    Thoughts?
  20. justjimjpc

If you can't see/use the card with a normal reader, then reformat the card .... that has worked for others on this forum ..
  21. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

When you format it, make sure you use FAT32, as FAT is only an 8bit file system.
  22. justjimjpc

Good Point !!
  23. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

I see Microsoft aren't ever going to let go of the FAT file system, the next gen SD cards that support 2Tb of storage will be using the new FAT64.
  24. greenwich.witch

greenwich.witch New Member

I had the same problem and found on the web that if you download anycut a free application it sorts out the problem. I downloaded it and it did in fact sort out the problem its been fine since
    hope it helps anyone else to x
  25. greenwich.witch

greenwich.witch New Member

it will sort out your problem