• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP!! sd card won't mount...

sjabraham

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
I'm apologizing now if I sound too tech-illiterate, but I need a little help.

I have had a corporate sync account the entire time I've had Android phones through my university email (I've had the DINC, the Charge, and now the Rezound). Two days ago my phone suddenly told me I couldn't sync mail unless I followed the encryption/security measures. I now understand it was remote access, still have no idea why it happened, and then suddnely my pump up message said "Erasing SD card...." What??!!

Here's where the problem may have occured: I tried in vain to pull the battery and remove my 32GB SD card (see, illiterate), and after doing so my SD card is damaged (I'm assuming I could format it and it would be fine, but I want to try a recovery program), but what's worse is I can no longer mount ANY cards. I factory reset the phone, but it refuses to recognize any SD card that I try. I've formatted the other cards I've tried, but that hasn't helped.

I know I have seen several posts on multiple sites, but none of them seem to have applied to Rezounds who have not upgraded to ICS. My phone is not rooted, I haven't done any mods, nothing.

Please, any insight is welcome, and be patient, n00b is putting it lightly.

The card is most likely toast.
The encryption thing was likely something that was pushed out by the university. That can be controlled through MS Exchange.
If the phone started the encryption process (1st step is to wipe the card) and did not complete, the card is toast. Nothing will be able to read it.
Sorry.

As for the phone. Have you tried a factory reset yet?
If not, do that 1st. Then try one of your SD cards BEFORE you resync it with your school's email.

Likely, once you setup the Exchange mailbox again, it will wipe the card and encrypt it.
DO NOT put anything you value on that SD card. Once it is encrypted, the only device that will be able to read anything on it will be YOUR phone in the current state it is in. That means not your buddy's Rezound that is running the same ROM / firmware. That also means if you hard reset after it has encrypted, the card will be unreadable and will need to be formatted in a computer.

Just to clarify. The current card you are using is toast. Even if you try to read it with some recovery software, all you are going to get is gibberish.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. I see that you already did a factory data reset. In that case the SD slot may be damaged from removing the card during the encryption process (but that is just a guess at this point).
I would say pay a visit to a VZW store and get it replaced. It sounds like have not voided your warranty at all.

Reactions: Egbertrozenbla
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones