• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help... Soft bricked HTC One M8

ninjamoose85

Lurker
Jul 31, 2015
Hi

I tried rooting my HTC One M8 using the Hassoon2000 toolkit, and initially it worked ok, although SuperSU showed no binaries. I read that if that was the case I needed to reroot it. However now my phone is stuck with either the HTC logo on, or the the following recovery screen...

*** Software status: modified ***
*** Relocked***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.25.21331147A1.06G
OpenDSP-v48.2.2-00564-M8974_F0.1211
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Jan 16 2015, 02:12:54.0

RUU

It appears that somehow I've managed to wipe the OS... Any help would be hugely appreciated! Otherwise I have no idea what to do!

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me! It just shows RUU, no HBOOT or FASTBOOT. I tried running this RUU on the advice of the Unlockr site, based on my CID which is ORANG001...

RUU_M8_UL_L50_SENSE60_MR_BrightstarUS_WWE_4.16.1540.8_Radio_1.24.21331147A1.09G_20.68.4196.01_F_release_411207_signed_2

But it just showed as having failed so I presumed hadn't actually done anything.

Upvote 0
Get the Mini-SDK (unless you know that you have a fastboot that you can trust) -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

When you unzipped the sdk-tools.zip file, it created the sdk-tools folder.

Unlock your phone again - find your Unlock_code.bin file, move it to the sdk-tools folder or wherever you have fastboot.

Windows Explorer, shift+right_click on the sdk-tools folder, and choose Open command window here.

In the command window say -

fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

Get the latest TWRP -

https://dl.twrp.me/m8/twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img.html

Move twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img to the sdk-tools folder (or where your fastboot is). Don't let Winrar or anything try to open it.

In the command window say -

fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img

Tip - in the command window, alt+space gives the menu, E for edit - you can copy/paste that command as given.

Once successful, go to the phone, tap power (just a tap) while HBOOT is highlighted, and from there, go to RECOVERY - TWRP will start.

Get the latest ViperOneM8 rom -

http://venomroms.com/htc-one-m8/

On phone, TWRP -

MOUNT - Check the box to mount internal storage or the sd card.

The phone will appear in Windows Explorer. Copy the ViperOneM8 zip file to the phone.

TWRP, Mount - UNCHECK the box you checked above.

Back to TWRP main page, then INSTALL.

Choose the ViperOneM8 zip file.

The ViperOneM8 Aroma installer begins.

When prompted choose clean install or full wipe, however they word it lately. Don't panic if it takes a while, it's going to because your phone was in a weird state - just let it do its thing. Could take a half hour. Probably won't.

Choose to install the full stock rom.

When given the opportunity, do NOT choose to leave off any apps.

When done, boot up the phone and don't panic if it takes 10 to 30 minutes to fully boot.

Set up the phone with the basics - your Gmail account, etc etc.

Long press power for menu, choose reboot, then choose recovery - ta da, it'll boot right into TWRP.

Choose Backup.

Accept the defaults but -
- it's ok to choose compression
- it's ok to choose between internal storage and the external sd card
- it's ok to change the backup name (just make it so you know what it is)

Reboot when done, enjoy rooted phone, explore Venom Tweaks.

Let me know if you run into trouble.

If so, don't panic. I'll be back. :)

Upvote 0
Hi There

I have unfortunately bricked my htc one m8 and i have tried the methods listed above. It doesnt boot up at all and i can't get it up at all by using volume down +power to get into the recovery mode. Please help
Remove the sim and sd card, power reset holding volume up and power - hold volume down while powering on.

What happens?

Can you relate any other details?

Did it power off during an RUU?

Was it s-on or s-off?

Upvote 0
Remove the sim and sd card, power reset holding volume up and power - hold volume down while powering on.

What happens?

Can you relate any other details?

Did it power off during an RUU?

Was it s-on or s-off?

Its S-on. I rooted the phone and was trying to apply a new rom when i ran the fastboot with the image it gave me it got bricked.

With volume up or down and power it vibrates then screen tries to turn on and then it immediately dies again.

Upvote 0
Hi Sorry

yes thats what i did. i TWRPed it earlier and then after rooting it, i was trying to install Cyanide L from this link

http://www.teamandroid.com/2015/07/...roid-511-cyanidel-lollipop-custom-firmware/2/

Step 8 – Type the following command and press Enter.

fastboot flash boot boot.img
Step 9 – Then, type the following command and press Enter.

fastboot reboot

After reboot it never came back up and now i can't even get it into recover mode

Upvote 0
OK, so assuming that you didn't have a corrupted download, and I think that you probably didn't because the boot.img extracted ok, that's all very reasonable - right up until the failure.

How big is the boot.img you extracted to the fastboot folder?

Btw - here's the actual rom instructions from the developer -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development/rom-09-17-t2930743

Please note for future reference that it's wrong to assume that the boot.img won't flash with the rom install. If it fails, then fastboot flash it - but in this case, the blog writer pointed to the right download.

Were you in FASTBOOT USB mode or TWRP when you issued the fastboot flash command? No harm ought to have come from doing it in FASTBOOT USB mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it extracted ok and ran just fine up until the ran the reboot command in setp 9. The size of the boot.img is 13186 kb. The phone is just trying to reboot on its onw off and on and the screen lights up for a few seconds and then goes black. Any thoughts on how i can get it up and running. I am totally out of options or ideas and have been searching all over the internet for steps

Upvote 0
I understand that you're frustrated.

I've asked @scotty85 to take a look when he gets time.

So let's confirm -

You have the sim and sd cards removed and it's still doing this?

You plug in the charger and you have a green led under the top speaker grill?

You fastboot flash the boot.img and it said OKAY and confirmed that it transferred the number of bytes you mentioned?

Upvote 0
I understand that you're frustrated.

I've asked @scotty85 to take a look when he gets time.

So let's confirm -

You have the sim and sd cards removed and it's still doing this?

You plug in the charger and you have a green led under the top speaker grill?

You fastboot flash the boot.img and it said OKAY and confirmed that it transferred the number of bytes you mentioned?

Yes

I removed both sim and sd and it still does that
I plugged in the charger and there is light
when i transferred the boot.img it said okay and confirmed the transfer. Now its just stuck in bootloop keeps rebooting on its own and does nothing beyond that

Upvote 0
OK so - it's not dead - it's bootlooping?

You said it just vibrates when you held volume up and power - did you continue to hold that until the phone powered down completely?

And then try volume down while powering on?
OK - if you can't get the volume up + power (power reset) to work, unplug from charger and let it bootloop until the battery dies.

Then charge while off, then volume down while powering on to enter the bootloader.

Upvote 0
OK so - it's not dead - it's bootlooping?

You said it just vibrates when you held volume up and power - did you continue to hold that until the phone powered down completely?

And then try volume down while powering on?
Yes looks like its bootlooping automatically. It vibrated when it boots up and then goes black in just a few seconds. Does the same thing when i hold volums up + down+power. Doesnt do much with volume down +power

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones