HELP: Spica not being detected in DOWNLOAD MODESupport

Last Updated:

1. Triple-H

Triple-H Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Yesterday, I bought Galaxy Spica and I already think it ROCKS. [except for the camera :) ]

Anyway, my stupid version has no Android Market on it, and it has Android 1.5, which is annoying.

I decided to flash my Spica and upgrade it to Android 2.1 that has a market. I found a good guide, but I am stuck at the very first steps.

The very first problem was that New PC Studio couldn't recognize my Spica on 3 different PCs. After lots of installs/uninstalls, I got it to see my Spica by using the latest version from the internet.

Then I made sure that my Android device appears in the drivers list [Modems and USB sections]

Then I shut down Spica, started download mode, started Odin, connected the phone after making sure NPS was off, and I got this message that says that my device malfunctioned and that Windows is unable to detect it. I tried all ports I have, no use. After so many reboots and taking the battery off a billion times, I still got no success.

Then I read some post saying that I have to install the PC studio that came with the CD in order to be able to install the accompanying drivers with it, and then remove the Studio but keep the drivers. I did that and that seemed to be working, because I could see that all drivers were successfully installed whenever I plugged in my Spica in the NORMAL MODE.

However, whenever I use it in the DOWNLOAD MODE, I get the same ugly message that says: Device malfunction , can't recognize it etc...

What to do now? I really think that having a Spica with no Android Market is pointless. Plz help :(

Advertisement
  2. Sister Bob

Sister Bob Member

Are you running a 64-bit operating system (Win7, Vista 64bit)? I had a similar problem until i dug around for These:

64 bit drivers for Spica

Worked like a charm after. Hope this helps!

3. Triple-H

Hi

I was actually using Windows XP

I think I am gonna try it on a 64-bit Win 7, and I would like to thank you for your quick response.

However, MegaUpload is for some reason blocked in my country. Can you please upload the file to another file sharing service such as AnyHub [really good] or RapidShare?

Thanks a lot!

4. Sister Bob

Sister Bob Member

Hey no problem! No megaupload, eh? That sucks. I find it's typically way faster (for example uploading to megaupload to mere seconds whereas rapidshare is taking its sweet time right now)

LINK

There you go! Good luck.

5. Triple-H

Hi

Thanks for uploading the file again.

Just before you posted the new link, I decided to do one final attempt on my laptop, which couldn't recognize the Spica before.

I made sure Kies was NOT running, and I connected the Spica, and it WORKED!
    [ I used Kies because I have Win7 installed on my laptop]

Flashing the phone took about 5 minutes, and now it runs Android 2.1 pretty smoothly.

For those of you who had the same problem, here is exactly what I did:
    1- Installed Kies on Windows 7
    2- Reboot
    3- Let Spica activate debug mode instead of storage mode
    4- Connect Spica via USB and wait for drivers to install
    5- Disconnect Spica from USB
    6- Now turn off Spica, then start it Download Mode
    7- Start Odin [Make sure Kies is OFF]
    8- Now connect Spica via USB [I connected it to the same port I used before]
    9- Now it should be recognized by Odin

Happy upgrading :)

ONE LAST THING:
    I was surprised by the numerous differences between Android 1.5 and 2.1, and one of them is this Google search box with a microphone button next to it. I read that people use it for searching using voice instead of keyboard input, and I read that Android 2.1 offers Speech-to-text everywhere in the system.
    Does this work on Spica? I've been trying to use the microphone search button but it keeps showing this message:
    "Activity not Found"
    Is there any way to get it working on Spica?

6. muham47

muham47 New Member

hey i facing the same prblm n tried ur method wic u post over here but still it dint work for me plz some 1 help i want to root my phone :(

7. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

I run Windows 7 64bit, and have successfully updated my phone's firmware many times. Easiest way was to install Kies, (latest Version) as it installs the necessary USB drivers.

Bare in mind also Odin can be a bit of a git. Do NOT have the USB cable plugged in, until Odin is running, and DO NOT have KIES or the NPS software running.

Download Kies here

Samsung Kies

Put your phone in download mode. Connect phone to PC. Watch top left in Odin for COM Port mapping. When the phone is correctly connected this will display which com port the PC is connected to.If this does not happen, ensure you have USB drivers installed. Odin can be a bit of a git, so you may need to try other things. Unplug the USB and re-insert it. Try another USB port. Rebooot the phone, put in into download mode again, try rebooting PC and start again.