Help streaming .mkv HD content to phone using samba / windows file sharing.

1. LxMxFxD

LxMxFxD Well-Known Member

I currently have a windows 7 ultimate server that contains a mix of divx/xvid and now .mkv hd files. At present this is how I play the xvid/divx files:

ES File Explorer (LAN) --> MoboPlayer (application).

ES File explorer uses SMB to connect to the LAN. I just had to input the necessary windows server credentials and I was good to go to browse the share. Then I just open the files with moboplayer or Rockplayer Lite.

This solution doesn't seem to work for the larger .mkv files however.

If I copy the .mkv file to my phone (galaxy s II) it plays just fine. It just won't stream.

I've tried various players and I think that is the issue. That or smb sharing is VERY SLOW using ES File explorer. Is there a solution here? I want to play the files natively and not reencode the stuff.

Other info for troubleshooting:

1) The phone has plenty of wifi speed: I connect at 65Mbit and i've tested it using speedtest at 20+Mbit

2) The mkv files stream just fine to a laptop also running windows using VLC, so they do steam just fine.

Advertisement
  2. LxMxFxD

Still no help with this?
  3. LxMxFxD

TTT hopefully for some help
  4. talynone

talynone New Member

Instead of Samba expose your videos via a DNLA server like Serviio, TVMobili, TVersity or PS3 Media Server.

Then use a DNLA client like UPnPlay, Skifta or BubbplleUPnP.

The client can then feed the video to your preferred video player like RockPlayer Lite. Personally I like MX Video Player (free version, ad supported) myself.

Since you have a Galaxy S2 you can probably also use DicePlayer (trial version available) which is the only Android player capable of playing MKV files using hardware acceleration.

------------------------------------------

On a side note I know you wish to avoid transcoding, but if you encounter a video you can't play or wish to stream your videos over a broadband/3G connection a great transcoding solution is Qloud.

Qloud Media (free version also available, ad supported)
    • Lightweight/simple to use server
    • Supports multiple MKV audio tracks (choose before video playback)
    • Works with every video I've thrown at it
    • Remembers last folder browsed
    • Remembers last video location
    • Works with MKV embedded subtitles and SRT subtitles
    • Video quality is very good at higher bitrates. Bitrates are customizable.
    • Very stable over low bandwidth 3G, streamed an entire 1080p movie over a shitty Sprint connection that topped out at 350 k/b (player set for 250/kb streaming) with no problem.
    • Includes photo and mp3 streaming, both work great
    • Has a weird quirk that requires you to press the "play" button after using the seek bar on the video client.
    • Ability to setup multiple users/allowable shared folders
    • Only requires one TCP port forward for direct remote connection
    • Server component available only for Windows