• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help - stuck at HBOOT/Recovery and can't run RUU on HTC Desire

Woah....Ok I just re-read post one. Advice. NEVER use mini tool partition wizard to partition the card. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. It's crap and more often than not, breaks the cards formatting (hence your issues there).
Now we do not need a partitioned sd card for this so the best bet is to remove all partitioning. Format the whole card as FAT32. Once that's done, try the PB99IMG.zip route again

Upvote 0
Hello and sorry for recycling this thread but it's not that old and pretty much describes my problem here...

I have my brother's HTC Desire (OLED) from Vodafone Germany. It is not rooted or what so ever. I wanted to root it and started the bootloader. Thought that the recovery there was a way to backup the system (like it is with CWM) but instead of showing me a new menu, the desire rebooted and keeps stuck with the booting screen (green htc logo with white background) and that's it. Nothing happens. I can start the bootloader but I can't start the phone anymore.

Tried to install an RUU when in fastboot --> didn't work
Tried to extract the rom.zip and flash via bootloader --> didn't work
Tried deleting all data --> didn't work

I'm all new to HTC devices (successfully flashed and rooted SGS, SGS3, and Xoom a lot) and the Desire is just killing me...

Hope you can help me.

Thanks, Michael

Upvote 0
Hi Michael, and welcome to AF :)

So can I just understand what you did? You booted into hboot, selected recovery, and then did what? Or are you saying that when you selected recovery it went into a bootloop and now won't boot? And it was working before?

(For what it's worth, there is no backup in the recovery of an unrooted Desire).

So can you tell us how you try to run the RUU, which RUU you are using and what the error message you get is? That will tell us why it won't work. RUUs check the "customer id" of the phone, so unless you have a "goldcard" (a card that's been modified to let you bypass the cid check) you need to run the correct RUU for your phone. If the phone had network-branded software you'd need a Vodafone.de RUU that's not older than the software that is on the phone. If you use a differently-branded RUU (or an unbranded RUU on a branded phone) it will fail with a "cid error", whereas if it's older I can't remember what the message is but it won't run. My best guess is that it will be one or the other problem.

Also, where did you get the RUU from? If it was shipped-ROMs.com remember that the device name is "bravo" (HTC's pre-release codename for the Desire) - "desire" ironically is the codename of a different device!

Reactions: WPxDominion
Upvote 0
Hi Hadron,

thanks for the reply. This is a really strange thing now... Good news first, the Desire is back working again. I do, however, have not the slightest clue why though... As you can see below, I tried and answered all your questions and in order to get the original error messages I tried installing the RUUs via USB again. And after the second one, the non-vodafone one, canceled with an error message, the desire booted and suddenly was back to life. I have so no idea what happend and why it happened...

Not sure if I still want to root her to get more system memory though... I must admit I'm a bit afraid to brick her again...lol

However, I am happy she's back :) So thanks for making me do whatever I did :)

Anyways, for informative purposes, here my original message:

So, what I did was booting the totally stock Desire into bootloader, selected recovery and pushed the power button. (Thought it is a menu to create a backup like it is in CWM on my SGS, which I learned it is not...)

That is basically all I did. The second I pushed the power button the device left the bootloader, vibrated, showed the boot screen and got stuck. Just nothing else happens. Well, it gets pretty hot on the back.
Technically it is not even a bootloop as it does not restart during showing the bootscreen again and again, it just gets stuck and does simply nothing.

I have the RUUs (at least the vodafone one) from Android-Hilfe.de - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Branding? PB99img? GoldCard? RUU.exe? Rooten? Recovery? Allgemeines!.
The ones I tried are "RUU_Bravo_Vodafone_UK_1.19.161.5_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126338_signed" which is however older than the software installed on the Desire and "PB9920000_Bravo_Froyo_hboot_1.03.0003_R".

I tried installing them by extracting the rom.zip and flash them via bootloader. With the vodafone the bootloader declined to flash it since the installed software is newer then the one in the zip-file and with the non-vodafone one I get the error message of an incorrect CID. (Learned it is because of the branding and that I need a gold card for that, but I can't get a gold card without booting the desire...)

The bootloader shows following:
*** LOCKED (OOW) ***
Bravo PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-1.03.0003
MICROP-031d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27
DEC 21 2011,20:44:09

After I learned here that one can install the RUU vie USB when entering fastboot on the desire, I tried that as well, but again with no luck.
The vodafone RUU says that version 2.35.0.0 is installed and the RUU itself has version 1.19.161.5. Error message is Error 140: Bootloader - Version-Error. (Translated from German). Which brings back to my mind that I tried to install the gingerbread ruu as the vodafone was to old, so I installed the bootloader fro gb, could not get the RUU of gb though.

The non-vodafone RUU wants to go from image version 2.35.0.0 to image version 2.35.0.0 but cancels with Eror 191: Rom is not suported. (When I wrote this error message, it happened, the desire came back to life)

Upvote 0
Can't think deeply about this at this moment (between meetings :(), but hboot 1.03 means this is the bootloader (and hence RUU) from the HTC bootloader unlocking programme. That also means that the RUU ran at least in part (because at the minimum it's updated the hboot). Has your software version changed as well?

I don't think you'll be able to run the Gingerbread upgrade because that uses an older hboot version. Our normal rooting tools also won't work with this hboot. So you are stuck with this software version unless you manage to downgrade the hboot or unlock the bootloader and root that way.

But on the plus side, the phone is working :)

Upvote 0
The current version is 2.2.2, so nothing changed here.
Yes, it is indeed the bootloader from the unlocking programme (I panicked and tried a lot of things...*g*).
Don't have an RUU from the unlocking programm or gingerbread. Just the two I mentioned in my previous post.

I found a tutorial to downgrade the bootloader "http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1564644" but failed since branded devices need a gold card and creating a gold card did not work as the Goldcard Tool was unable to provide me with a CID.

So no extended memory for now.

The Desire really isn't my thing when it comes to modifying it, everything I try ends bad...lol

But hey, at least it works again :)

Upvote 0
I have no experience of the Desire HD (this is the forum for the original Desire) but pull the battery out for a few seconds. Hold the volume down (-) while you press the power key. It should boot into the bootloader within a few seconds. Scroll down to recovery with the volume keys and press the power key to select. In recovery select clear cache and clear data/factory reset then reboot.

If that doesn't work pull the battery out again. Hold the volume down (-) while you press the power key to get back into the bootloader. This time select Fastboot. Now try to run your RUU.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
The back button is the key that takes you back to where you were previously in an app or closes the app if you go right back to the beginning. On the original desire holding it down while booting would take you straight to fastboot.

I think you probably need to seek advice from your device specific forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones