• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help switching Virgin Mobile E4GT to Verizon

edave22

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
I am moving to Vermont soon and where I will be staying won't have cell service on the Sprint Network. I need to switch to Verizon so I can keep coverage while living there.

I am sort of a newbie when it comes to this. I just rooted my phone so I know the basics of how to get around but please explain like I'm 5 if you can.

Thanks!

I am moving to Vermont soon and where I will be staying won't have cell service on the Sprint Network. I need to switch to Verizon so I can keep coverage while living there.

I am sort of a newbie when it comes to this. I just rooted my phone so I know the basics of how to get around but please explain like I'm 5 if you can.

Thanks!

Congrats on rooting your phone, freedom is a breath of fresh air isn't it!!! :D

I'm not 100% sure this is possible for your phone.

Sprint works on CDMA technology, and "most" of Verizon's devices / network are GSM. The two technologies are not interchangeable.

Also I heard through the grapevine it's been deemed unlawful to unlock GSM devices to switch said device to another GSM carrier in the US. I haven't read up on this in a while, so I may be wrong. I'll ask one of our resident experts and see if they'll chime in. :)

Upvote 0
Congrats on rooting your phone, freedom is a breath of fresh air isn't it!!! :D

I'm not 100% sure this is possible for your phone.

Sprint works on CDMA technology, and "most" of Verizon's devices / network are GSM. The two technologies are not interchangeable.

Also I heard through the grapevine it's been deemed unlawful to unlock GSM devices to switch said device to another GSM carrier in the US. I haven't read up on this in a while, so I may be wrong. I'll ask one of our resident experts and see if they'll chime in. :)

Shouldn't it be the other why around? Verizon is mainly a CDMA carrier with only their global phones being GSM. With a few exceptions in their LTE phones. Also, as I understand it, it's only unlawful to unlock a phone if you're under contract.

And for the OP's question. Putting a cdma phone on another network involves flashing the device. Which is a lot different than rooting. You'll likely be better off just getting another phone and selling the one you have.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Shouldn't it be the other why around? Verizon is mainly a CDMA carrier with only their global phones being GSM. With a few exceptions in their LTE phones. Also, as I understand it, it's only unlawful to unlock a phone if you're under contract.

And for the OP's question. Putting a cdma phone on another network involves flashing the device. Which is a lot different than rooting. You'll likely be better off just getting another phone and selling the one you have.

I stand corrected. :)

Just checked Wikipedia, and it seems most of Verizon's network is CDMA. The frequency that Verizon operates might be different, I have no idea. I've always thought Verizon was GSM. :p

Also you are correct, you "can" still unlock with the network's permission, and you'll need to have the receiving networks blessing to activate the unlocked device on their network. This also hinges on the phones tech being compatible to the receiving network. I guess it won't hurt to ask tho. :)

Upvote 0
If your phone was purchased before 1/26/13 then it is exempt from needing to ask your carrier for permission to flash it to another carrier.

If you want to keep the phone, there are reputable (i.e. been in business for at least a few years, have a landline phone, pay taxes, etc) cell phone flashing services that can do this for you, the going rate seems to be about $50-$65. A quick search on Youtube for cell phone flashing will bring up several companies, and if you PM me, I can tell you what company I used (and highly recommend).

DW

Upvote 0
If your phone was purchased before 1/26/13 then it is exempt from needing to ask your carrier for permission to flash it to another carrier.

If you want to keep the phone, there are reputable (i.e. been in business for at least a few years, have a landline phone, pay taxes, etc) cell phone flashing services that can do this for you, the going rate seems to be about $50-$65. A quick search on Youtube for cell phone flashing will bring up several companies, and if you PM me, I can tell you what company I used (and highly recommend).

DW

You unlock GSM phones and you flash CDMA phones. They are two different things. Unlocking frees a device from a carriers network. Flashing involves writing new software to the phone and often (in the case of sprint to verizon and vice versa) involves cloning a device. Which no carrier will give permission for and you should never trust anyone other than yourself to do. Ever.

Upvote 0
yeah verizon definitely is cdma. i have never flashed a phone to another carrier so i'm not very familiar with the exact details. but it usually involves buying a cheap donor phone. and then using cdma workshop you can then switch esn with the donor phone. now cdma workshop is not free or cheap and there are plenty of cracked versions that are free, but beware, they may have viruses.

of course it should be said that you should do this only if you are in good standing with sprint now and not because of unpaid bills among other reasons.

to be honest like what SulkyAndroid17 said, it will be much easier to just get a phone that is on verizon's network.......but that is up to you.

Upvote 0
You unlock GSM phones and you flash CDMA phones. They are two different things. Unlocking frees a device from a carriers network. Flashing involves writing new software to the phone and often (in the case of sprint to verizon and vice versa) involves cloning a device. Which no carrier will give permission for and you should never trust anyone other than yourself to do. Ever.

I'm well aware of what the difference between flashing and unlocking is.

The OP said that they had a Virgin Mobile phone and wanted to switch to Verizon. Virgin Mobile uses CDMA phones, so, they cannot be "unlocked" they must be flashed. Tens of thousands of people (including myself) have paid reputable cell flashing companies to flash their phone to another carrier and have had no problems whatsoever. To suggest otherwise is hyperbole and just plain wrong. Cricket, for example, not only allows flashed phones on their network, they'll flash the phone for you.....

Upvote 0
Tens of thousands of people (including myself) have paid reputable cell flashing companies to flash their phone to another carrier and have had no problems whatsoever. To suggest otherwise is hyperbole and just plain wrong.

The whole subject of "flashing phones to another network" is fraught with difficulties and grey areas. The biggest problem is that anything involving altering an ESN opens up the possibility of fraud and/or facilitating stolen goods, which is obviously something that Android Forums wants no part in.

@OP: I don't know if Verizon offer a "Bring Your Own Device" service, but the safest option is to contact them and ask if such a thing is possible. Failing that, they do offer a "Trade In" facility which would at least allow you to recoup some money to offset the cost of a new VZW handset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones