1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Help synching Droid contacts with Outlook

Last Updated:

1. eschurr

eschurr Member This Topic's Starter

i can't seem to find a direct answer to this question, so i will post new.

I'm using the original Droid from Verizon, with 2.2 (Froyo) installed.

I'm trying to sync my contacts on my Droid with Outlook (Exchange). it sort of works, but not quite right.

when i got my phone, i believe the guy at the store moved my contacts from my old Blackberry to my Droid (not sure).

I now have duplicate entries in Outlook for all of my contacts; it appears that when the Droid syncs it creates entries in Outlook; but when i change or add entries in Outlook i don't see the changes on my Droid.

all i want is for the contacts on my Droid and Outlook to be the same, and changes in one to affect the other.

This ought to be easy -- what do i have to do?

Advertisement
  2. eschurr

Can anyone PLEASE help me with this? it's driving me crazy. I now have THREE duplicate entries for all of my contacts in Outlook!

3. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

I use gSyncIt to great effect. It handles contacts, calendars etc.

R

4. eschurr

thanks, but this looks like it works with Google facilities, which i'm not using.

5. Flmgo

Flmgo Well-Known Member

On my Droid X I use Corporate Sync. I came with the X and it works perfectly for me when syncing up with my company exchange server. Any changes in email, contacts, and calendar made from my phone sync up with the exchange server and vice versa. I've seen many posts talk about Touchdown, but I do not use that so I don't know what the value add would be.

The concern I have for you is that you mention you already have triplicate entries in your phone. I don't think syncing up would clear that as I believe exchange will think each is an individual contact. You may have to manually clean up any multiple entries first.

6. eschurr

thanks. regarding the triplicate entries: i'm beginning to think that the problem is the guy at the Verizon store moved my contacts from my old BB to my Droid and THEN i set up the synch. I think the Droid does not recognize that the contacts on it were the same as the ones in Outlook; it just thought "i have entries here, so i better put them in Outlook," and therefore created new ones.

i'm thinking now i will turn off my synch, delete all my contacts on my Droid, clean up my dups in Outlook, and turn synch back on and see if it works.

sounds reasonable?

7. tamanaco

tamanaco Well-Known Member

Just make sure that you make a backup copy of your active Outlook .pst file just in case sync deletes the contacts in Outlook. In my case, the master copy of my contacts and calendar are in Outlook... not on the phone. Anyway, as a preventive measure I backup my .pst file once a week or so.

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You might want to change the subject to syncing with Exchange. Despite the common misconception, Outlook (client) and Exchange (server) aren't the same thing. If you want to sync with Outlook you'll need a sync app and you'll probably need to sync using a USB cable.

That's a problem with letting someone else set up your device. You don't always know exactly what they did or why. Nor are you sure that they really understand your intent, both present and future.

Check your duplicate contacts to see what type they are. Odds are they're phone contacts if they're not syncing. If you set up your Exchange account, however, it should be syncing Exchange contacts. IIRC, if you're using the stock email app with Exchange the contacts are referred to as "Corporate" contacts. I can't say for certain as I've used Touchdown from the start for Exchange. Can you verify what contact types you have on the device? You'd need to choose to edit the contact to find out.