• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help - tired of "butt-dialling" ppl!

I have a LG Alley phone that was flashed from Verizon over to Cricket. But after I bought for and had the phone flashed by a Cricket Authorized Dealer, i am now finding when I try to turn off the screen and lock it, it DOESNT WORK NOW. So I am constantly "Butt Dialing" my contacts.

If I were to do a FACTORY RESET; in hopes that the screen lock will fix itself; would the phone revert back to Verizon, or will it continue as Cricket?!?

PLEASE HELP?!?!?

I'm not a developer but I am pretty good with flashing ROMs and backing up. What I would do is if your phone is rooted, flash a ROM made here by one of the devs. If your phone isn't rooted doing a factory reset wipes all data, apps, everything thats on the phone in its entirety. You can backup your contacts and all that but apps you can either backup ONLY IF your phone is rooted through titanium backup (app on the android market). I don't know if you are rooted or not but resetting will reset back. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Just to avoid confusion I put the two threads together here in the regular LG Ally forum.

@emeraldspyro, are you sure the person flashed the phone? Or did they unlock it?

One way to check would be to see if you have an app named "superuser" or superuser.apk" (often has an icon with a pirate/ninja). If you have it, you are likely rooted and have custom firmware on the phone. Otherwise, I think it's likely the guy at the store just used a special unlock code to allow your phone to be used on another carrier. This is different from "flashing"

Anyways, please feel free to let me know if you guys think this is more of a root question and I'll be happy to move it there.

cheers,
-alp

Upvote 0
If you a factory reset all it will do is wipe your apps, data, and activation info (by activation info I mean you will have to reenter your name and password to reactivate your Google account). Whatever ROM you have flashed as well as info stored on your SD card will remain intact so you should still have whatever ROM you have flashed on your phone along with root if your rooted. In most cases you should be able to go to Settings/Privacy/Factory Data Reset. If some kind of unlock code was used you might have to take it back Cricket but I don't think you would. It might be best to ask them before doing the reset.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
I had a similar problem when I first rooted my LG Thrive. Even though I know this is an Ally forum I happened to come across this thread. In my case, I was curious(as all new rooted users are) and started toying around with folders in RootExplorer. Long story short, I wound up moving an .ogg file the was responsible for the locking and unlocking sound on my phone. The path to that file(on the Thrive)is /system/media/audio/ui. I guess the "ui" part causes it to interact with the user interface some how.

Anyway after I put the file back in it's proper place everything was o.k. I'm assuming you're rooted. If not, the advice from the above posts would probably help more. The best of luck to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones