• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help to find original firmware - i9505 T-Mobile UK

Hi all,

I've been a bit keen to unlock and update my S4 and didn't do a backup before I did it. D'oh! (Yes, I know it was stupid etc. etc.)

Anyway, after royally screwing my phone I re-installed a 4.3 Google stock rom and it now works. Mostly. Unfortunately the Wifi won't work at all - not even switch on.

So, I wanted to go back to the start (if possible) and find and install the original firmware that came with the phone. Its a UK T-Mobile S4, but I dont know the software versions to even look for.

Does anyone know what the versions were that came with the phone in the first place? (No updates from T-Mobile since I got the phone as far as I'm aware). I know it was 4.2.2 before I broke it!

Thanks,

Rob

PS As a tip, dont flash your phone with a laptop unless its plugged into the mains - when it runs out of power in the middle of the process things get ugly.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums BallisticBanana! :)

Lets see if we can sort you out...

I've been a bit keen to unlock and update my S4 and didn't do a backup before I did it. D'oh! (Yes, I know it was stupid etc. etc.)
:shot:

Anyway, after royally screwing my phone I re-installed a 4.3 Google stock rom and it now works. Mostly. Unfortunately the Wifi won't work at all - not even switch on.

What you are describing sounds very much like the symptoms that people who were on Android 4.3, with locked bootloader and Knox Security, have described when they tried to downgrade to Android 4.2.2. You do not mention which version of stock 4.3 you installed. Was it CSC/Product Code for the UK?

So, I wanted to go back to the start (if possible) and find and install the original firmware that came with the phone. Its a UK T-Mobile S4, but I dont know the software versions to even look for.

Does anyone know what the versions were that came with the phone in the first place? (No updates from T-Mobile since I got the phone as far as I'm aware). I know it was 4.2.2 before I broke it!

If your phone is/was on Android 4.3, installing the original 4.2.2 firmware that it came with is not an option. See #1.1 of Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares

The latest release, Android 4.3 for EE, (Everything Everywhere), which is the Orange + T-Mobile, UK, conglomerate is...

Model: GT-I9505
Version: Android 4.3
Changelist: 2082040
Build date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 06:20:53 +0000
Product Code: EVR
PDA: I9505XXUEMK9
CSC: I9505EVREMK1
MODEM: I9505XXUEMK9

You will need to download this and flash it via Odin, using the instructions in the link in #1.5 of 23 Galaxy S4 models - know yours? I would suggest a Factory Data Reset, before flashing, in your case.

You may also want to check your Knox Warranty Void flag, as described in #1.4 of Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares.

Reactions: BallisticBanana
Upvote 0
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Those are the versions on the phone - I guessed the EE version was the best one to choose (lucky).

I think I'll probably have to reflash the phone. I can't remember whether I did a factory data reset last time, probably not, so hopefully that will fix it. And I don't care about the warranty/Knox flag situation.

Again, thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Those are the versions on the phone - I guessed the EE version was the best one to choose (lucky).

I think I'll probably have to reflash the phone. I can't remember whether I did a factory data reset last time, probably not, so hopefully that will fix it. And I don't care about the warranty/Knox flag situation.

Again, thanks.

There is no guarantee that doing the above will restore your Wi-Fi as there have been several cases where only a repair at a Samsung Service Point helped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones