Help to Root HTC Desire Android 2.3.3

Last Updated: 2012-04-17 06:11:35
  1. somin

somin Member

Hi,

I am having HTC Desire.

Current OS # GB 2.3.3 (official)

I want to root and install custom ROM.

Please provide me solution with details if any one have.

thanks in advance !!!

Somin

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

look at 1) The rooting faq in the "all about rooting" sticky thread and 2) the s-off rooting android 2.3 guide linked in the same thread.

Its all there
    somin likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Go to the root subforum and look at the "all about rooting" sticky thread (red link in my sig). You'll find links to a number of FAQs and guides there. In particular read the rooting FAQ and the guide to rooting using revolutionary (because you are already on 2.3.3 you need to use revolutionary to root).

Read them as many times as you need until they become clear.

Once you've done this, people in the root forum will be happy to answer any remaining questions.
    somin likes this.
  4. somin

somin Member

Hi,

While i was Typing $ Cat /Proc/mtd in Terminal Emulator and press enter, No reply comes and cursor move to next line.

Please help me out !!!
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

It's case-sensitive. Try lower case
  6. SUroot

and you're not typine the "$" are you?
    somin likes this.
  7. somin

somin Member

I've Rooted my HTC Desire.
    S-Off

Now could you please suggest best Custom ROM and procedure to install it.
    I don't want to loose HTC Sense.

Thanks
  8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

there is no such thing as a best custom rom. its all subjective and each rom has its own instructions on the thread on how to flash them.
    please go to HTC Desire - xda-developers and there are loads there for you to look at
    Bradden likes this.
  9. Sady469

Sady469 New Member

I have spent the last day trying to root my Desire.
    Am stuck at the moment when my PC needs to find my phone with fastroot.
    I've used revolutionary and managed to get S-Off.
    I've got fastboot.exe and have added the path line in the advanced system settings...
    When plugged in normally i can find my phone through adb devices in command prompt.
    When i start my phone and go into Fastboot its shows "fastboot usb" (in red, is this right?) when i connect usb cable. But when i try to find devices through fastboot devices in command prompt it doesn't list annything.
    I have seen this problem around the web on different places but I havn't found a solution yet.
    Oh and USB debugging is turned on...

Please help.

Am working on Win7 x64.
    Phone running
    Android 2.3.3

HBOOT screen show's the following at the moment.

-Revolutionary-
    BRAVO PVT 1 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT_6.93.1002
    MICROP-031d
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
    RADIO-5.17.05.23
    date
  10. SUroot

Did you install any drivers? How does the device show up in device manager whilst connected on the fastboot screen? Any symbols?
  11. Sady469

Sady469 New Member

Yes the drivers are installed from the android SDK...
    But when i connect in fastboot nothing shows up...

OK scrap the above, I connected it to a non USB3 port and it suddenly popt up.
    It shows up as Android usb device and under that My HTC.

Am going to try the rest now, wish me luck!!

Yes!!!!
    Results!!!
    Succesfully installed Runnymede AIO
    Su remember USB2 not USB3!!!!

Thanks for the tip....
  12. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member

Just wondering why you needed to use fastboot? I'm fully rooted and haven't had to touch it so far.
  13. Sady469

Sady469 New Member

@ Bradden

That's possible but I'm a noob at this, was just fullowing instructions....:D
  14. SUroot

Fastboot is used for flashing recovery, re enabling sd functionality, wiping partitions, flashing hboot, radio etc.
  15. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member

Hi, new here and this seemed an appropriate thread to post in (as opposed to posting a new thread).

I have an HTC Desire running Android 2.2.2 and am looking into rooting, having read the very helpful guides I am wondering whether it is easier to root from 2.2.2 or should I update to 2.3 and then do it?
  16. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

Probably easiest to root your current ROM. That way you can back up your user data with Titanium. Updating to the official gingerbread release would wipe all your data.
  17. dsolin90

dsolin90 New Member

i was trying to download this app PB99IMG.zip and it shows me a screen that i have to put username and password and i put my one and didnt work so what do you recommend me to do because i dont want to do it via the pc
  18. SUroot

Download from where?