Help Un-rooting and Factory Reset LG Esteem

1. RaeG

RaeG Member

Hi,
    I'm having a lot of issues with my LG esteem (unresponsive, won't finish scanning media files, unable to load status bar, malfunctioning stock Messaging App and Handcent and constant freezing). This happened after I rooted my phone (the only thing I've done with root is removing the Metro start up sound.) To potentially fix this, I wanted to Factory reset my phone and start from scratch again. However, I did hear that you can destroy your phone by not successfully un-rooting your phone first hand. I've read a few forums on how to do so, but to be honest I'm not tech-savvy so I was hoping to get a very general break down of how or what I should be doing to get my phone back to working smoothly. If there are suggestions for how to do this other than having to un-root and factory reset, I'm down to hear them!
    Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. gbiggie

gbiggie La patience et le pardon Guide

Were you on Version C or B:confused: So I understand you want to un root your phone correct:confused:
  3. RaeG

RaeG Member

zvc
  4. demarsjcd

demarsjcd Well-Known Member

might wanna move this over to all roots section ;)
  5. gbiggie

RaeG likes this.
  6. gbiggie

Request for me please:thumbup:
    RaeG likes this.
  7. ShinySide

ShinySide Disabled

Teleported over to ATR ;)
    gbiggie likes this.
  8. RaeG

RaeG Member

Yeah it would seem I'm already at the newest version. Hmm. What's plan B?
  9. gbiggie

So latest version of C:eek:(jk)...when you rooted what recovery did you install CWM or RZR:confused:
  10. RaeG

RaeG Member

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I installed either -- or at least, I don't remember picking one or seeing one mentioned. This was the root that I used for the phone:
    Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
  11. gbiggie

Ok...just rooted one yesterday that way..give me an of what you would rather do and put it together.
    First though go to your apps find superuser and update it.
    Second download ROM Manager from the market..open it and at the top choose install recovery.
    Think if you want to stay on stock ROM..or more customized...theme it a little(diff icons & colors)..entirely up to you:D
    [​IMG]
    RaeG likes this.
  12. RaeG

RaeG Member

I think for now I'll stick with stock, that way if there's still an issue I can take it to metro.
  13. gbiggie

:cool: I could revert mine as well at anytime(could never take back to the closest Metro Corp though-they know me;))

Did these?
    First though go to your apps find superuser and update it.
    Second download ROM Manager from the market..open it and at the top choose install recovery.:confused:
    RaeG likes this.
  14. RaeG

RaeG Member

By "install recovery" do you mean "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"?
  15. gbiggie

yup:d
  16. RaeG

RaeG Member

Cool! Ran it. What's next?
  17. gbiggie

Did you update the Superuser:confused:
    Then in ROM Manager
    [​IMG]
    RaeG likes this.
  18. RaeG

RaeG Member

Superuser was already up-to-date, but I updated it anyway. I also just finished backing up the ROM.
  19. gbiggie

Just below in the pic above it says 'Fix Permissions" run that then try to recreate the issue(s):rolleyes: you were having in the OP:)
    RaeG likes this.
  20. RaeG

RaeG Member

Ran it! I'll let you know if I still have any problems. Thank you very much for all of your help.
  21. gbiggie

Anytime:D
    Hopefully the problems will not return..if they do we will go to plan C:thumbup:
    RaeG likes this.
  22. RaeG

RaeG Member

Any suggestions for plan c? :/
  23. gbiggie

I take it you still have the same problems:confused:
  24. RaeG

RaeG Member

Unfortunately, yeah.
  25. gbiggie

Working right now..did a little testing today...should be able to fix you up Monday afternoon..will post up here or pm you:thumbup::D
    RaeG likes this.