Help! Up Time = Awake TimeSupport

Last Updated:

1. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys here's the deal. I've done everything I could think of to fix the issue, but a few days ago my up time started equaling my awake time. I uninstalled my most recent apps (weather channel, I don't remember what else haha).

I have my phone in airplane mode now and I went through the running apps list and tried to stop everything I could (including calendar, weather, etc.) I also took all of my widgets off the home screen including the clock, the live background (beautiful widgets), pandora, music, everything. I turned of sync (prior to putting in airplane mode) and everything. I'll list my downloaded apps and you can tell me what you think the next step would be. I'm trying to avoid a hard reset.

Fring
    My Perfect Egg Timer
    Urbanspoon
    Pandora
    Battery Widget
    aCar
    Calorie Counter
    Bubble Burst
    Astro
    Dead Pixel Detect (I should really uninstall that anyway haha)
    Google Buzz
    My Tracks
    Beautiful Widgets
    Barcode Scanner
    Beautiful Live Weather
    Rainy Days
    Sound Manager
    RunKeeper
    Fandango
    Gesture Search
    Text-To-Speech Extender
    Google Translate
    Fios Mobile Remote
    Auto Valet
    Zillow
    Places Directory
    2Banana Notes
    HandyCards
    Google Maps
    Google Goggles
    USA Today
    Shazam
    iStockManager
    Real Blackjack
    Robo Defense Free
    SuperYatzy
    Shopper
    Favorite Recipes
    Google Sky Map
    Discover Mobile
    DC Metro Transit
    Breaktheblocks lite
    Sudoku
    Bump
    Bartender
    Mobile Banking
    Bubble
    My Verizon

Help Guys!!!

Advertisement
  2. palomosan

palomosan Well-Known Member

3. Liquoredolce

I don' see how that would help, I've already gone through and manually stopped the apps. The last thing I need is an extra app running in the background all the time. I'm fine going into my "running applications" list and stopping them myself, which is exactly what I did.

4. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

download battery left widget and watch the "partial wake usage"

Battery Left Widget - Android app on AppBrain

If any app is showing significant partial wake usage that would be a good place to start.

And don't use ATK, it will not help (and will just add one more variable to the problem.)

5. nightfishing

I don't like to post things like this on the board because it leads to a bunch of unscientific misinformation being thrown about, but I thought it might help you with your issue (NOTE: these steps helped me but I have IN NO WAY done the testing to prove/disprove any of them as science.):

1. make sure all the apps are the newest builds (I have had apps with pw usage issues that were fixed with updates.)

2. Keep an eye on Maps. I have seen it spike on the battery "use" monitor and I do not know if it is an issue with the app or an anomaly on the phone. To be safe, I usually manually shut it down before bed.

3. Use System Panel. It is a great tool for monitoring/shutting down apps without the negative aspects of ATK et al. I do not use the background monitoring of System Panel, but only the on demand aspects of it.

4. Shut down and reopen Calendar daily. There is a Calendar bug, not sure if this helps, but I have never had any issues with it, so i keep doing it.

5. Monitor "Partial Wake Usage". I use Battery Left. Spare Parts can also do it. This is the first place I look if I think there is an issue.

I run 80+ apps and have ZERO wake issues. There have only been a couple of apps that I exiled due to battery draining issues, but it can be a PITA to narrow down the search.

Liquoredolce likes this.
  6. Liquoredolce

5. Monitor "Partial Wake Usage". I use Battery Left. Spare Parts can also do it. This is the first place I look if I think there is an issue.

I downloaded Spare Parts per your recomendation

Partial Wake -

Android System (prob 90%)
    Calendar (maybe 3%)
    others...mail, dialer, handcent, etc. a tiny fraction.

Android System is always one of the top two in my battery usage. Does that mean it's not an installed app?

7. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

8. Liquoredolce

lol don't worry, I've been around here long enough to know NOT to do that.

9. nightfishing

That is what you "want" to see. Unfortunately it doesn't help you narrow your search any.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on those numbers, regardless.

What "I" would do next is before you go to bed (make sure it is charged), reboot the phone (and don't do anything else) and leave it on and not plugged in for the night.

If you see any significant awake time and/or a huge chunk of battery being used then you "know" it is something that loads with the OS. If the numbers are good, then you know it is something else.

howarmat likes this.
  10. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

^^ good advice for the issue i would think

11. Liquoredolce

Ok I have no idea what happened but I restarted my phone and now I have over 2 hour up tome and 50 min awake time. It must have been one of the apps I ujinstalled, but I will keep an eye on it for a bit and see if it starts doin it again.

Thanks a lot guys!

12. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

troubleshooting steps for any electronic:
    1:is it plugged in?
    2:did you restart it yet?
    3: restart it 1 more time anyway.
    4: what did you do in the last few days differently then usual?
    5:
    6: PROFIT!?

13. nightfishing

It is common to have wake issues after installing/updating an app.

Often a reboot is the solution.

14. Liquoredolce

Ok it might be back haha I don't know what's going on. I just looked at my battery usage and beautiful widgets was about 50% of my batt usage

15. jasperwill

try uninstalling beautiful widgets and restarting the phone. then test again.
    it shouldnt be having an issue, i know lots of people use that app. but it could have a bug with other apps you are using.

Liquoredolce likes this.
  16. Liquoredolce

Yeah that's what I did. I know its a good app, I'm hoping I'll be able to install it again after I figure this out. So far so good, but that usually is the case, but then after being on for a bit the awake time and up time will keep exactly the same diff between them. Meaning its not sleeping. Ugh, I'm so close to a reset haha

17. jasperwill

if you do decide to reset it maybe get yourself an AppBrain account and download the app so that you can backup your list of apps.
    then after the factory reset you can try installing them one at a time off a list.
    it should make it easier for you.

18. Liquoredolce

I wanna wait for froyo so my app data will be backed up too, although that may replicate the prob haha. I'm going to keep playing around for a few days. So far so good right now, but I want beautiful widgets back! Hahaha

19. jasperwill

well, i doubt you want to wait for froyo since even the N1 doesnt have it yet.
    when i first got my phone i downloaded a ton of apps, (like it looks as though u have.)
    messed up alot of stuff while setting things up and just screwing around in general.
    after having the phone for less than 12 hours i did a factory reset and was more careful about everything i did. if my phone ran the way it did 8 hrs into having it i wouldnt have kept it.
    after doing doing my reset and paying a little more attention i have made my phone work great and im really happy with it.

maybe doing a factory reset would be good for your phone?

20. Liquoredolce

I'm seriously considering a factory reset, however I would prefer not to lose data associated with some of the apps (mostly acar).

I might end up doing a factory reset, but for right now I'm around a charger for enough of the day that I have the luxury of being able to do some tests.

I restarted this morning after taking it off the charger, took off the live wallpaper (Beautiful Wallpaper), disabled the calendar, and it's now at 51 min up time and 9 min awake time. I'll keep it idle throughout most of the day and see if it can keep the awake time down. The next step would be for me to add the beautiful wallpaper back, see if that changes anything, then reinstally beautiful widgets and see what that does. Hopefully I can do those 2 steps and hold a charge the way it's doing now.

I'll keep updating as I do more tests.

BTW I reinstalled The Weather Channel yesterday, so it doesn't look like that was the issue.

I also have all syncing back on and wifi on, basically all the settings I would usually have on, just with a couple apps uninstalled and disabled.

21. Liquoredolce

Current -

Up time - 1:52
    Awake Time - 0:12
    Battery - 91% (seems to only have gone down 1% in the last 45 min or so)

Now I'm going to install the Beautiful Weather Wallpaper. (sorry, I'm using this for my notes, if you don't care you can just ignore it haha)

22. Liquoredolce

Now with Live Wallpaper active and a few texts and an email -

Up Time - 2:40
    Awake Time - :19
    Battery - 89%

Now to add Beautiful Widgets back to the phone and see if it can still work!

23. Liquoredolce

Hmph

Up time - 3:30
    Awake Time - 1:10
    Battery - 81%
    Beautiful Widgets - 41%

Looks like we found the issue. Dangit! I really liked Beautiful Widgets. :(

Is anyone else having this issue? I know a lot of people have Beautiful Widgets.

EDIT: I emailed the devs in hopes that they will try to fix the issue. I uninstalled it and will keep an eye on everything, but from that test just now it looks like that is in deed the problem app. Hopefully they'll get back to me with somethin saying they'll try to work on it!

I also understand it could be a conflict between that app and another one I have, but would really like for this one to work for me!

24. Liquoredolce

Sorry for the millions of updates, but after uninstalling and restarting the phone (and then stopping the calendar application as well)

Up time - :49
    Awake Time - :07

I want them to fix it so it works on my phone :(

bjanow likes this.
  25. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Well, Liquor, you inspired me. I had to figure out my awake time problem now. I don't have Widgets or beautiful anything. So I decided to uninstall the latest apps I d/l , reboot and write down the times. First shot! I liked the City ID thing although I didn't like it came preinstalled and costs some ridiculous amount. So I got another called Caller ID or something like that. Uninstalled it, awake time shut down. Go figure.