Help updating Xperia Play

Last Updated: 2012-03-16 00:22:44
  1. talhaismail

talhaismail Well-Known Member

Hey guys, so i have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800i (GSM Unlocked) that runs Android 2.3.4, and i live in Saudi Arabia. I recently rooted it using DoomLord's One Click Root Method that uses the ZergRush exploit (locked bootloader). s
    I also removed bloatware like preinstalled games, but then wanted my phone to be stock, so I used FlashTool to Flash a stock UK Generic ROM, and it was pretty much successful, the only difference was that i got some UK generic bloatware like Video Unlimited, PlayNow etc., and everything is so far so good. my Xperia says in the notification bar "4.0.2.A.0.42 New system update available" and when i try to update it requires PC Companion.
    So i try using PC Companion to update (even though my Version is already 4.0.2.0.A.0.42). But on the second step of updating, "preparing" when the bar is almost complete, it says that Sony Ericsson's servers are overloaded. I reinstalled PC Companion and restarted my phone, but I still get the same message. I did a bit of Googling and people said the solution was SEUS and gave this link, "http://dl-www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/110/61/1309763183/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.7.13.exe" , but that just opens up this: Support - Sony Smartphones (Global UK English)

So what doI do? And why does it say theres an update? Thanks so much! A quick reply would really be appreciated.

PS: If you need screenshots to base your answer, just reply to this post, and i will send them )

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

You can't update using the PC Companion when you are using a different ROM from stock. Basically just flash a higher version of a custom ROM for your phone.
  3. talhaismail

But i flashed a stock ROM (UK generic) from here: http://rapid4me.com/?n=R800i+4.0+2+A+0.42+Generic+UK

I wanted to flash the Stock ROM from here: Xperia Play Super-Compilation (root, BL unlock, ROMs, tweaks) [WIP] - xda-developers (first Reply) but multiupload doesnt work here :/

BTW i have the latest stock rom, 4.0.2.A.0.42, OS 2.3.4, then why does it say theres an update?

BTW its a UK generic Stock ROM, but i Live in Saudi Arabaia, is that problematic?

4. talhaismail

But i flashed a stock ROM (UK generic) from here: http://rapid4me.com/?n=R800i+4.0+2+A+0.42+Generic+UK

I wanted to flash the Stock ROM from here: Xperia Play Super-Compilation (root, BL unlock, ROMs, tweaks) [WIP] - xda-developers (first Reply) but multiupload doesnt work here :/

BTW i have the latest stock rom, 4.0.2.A.0.42, OS 2.3.4, then why does it say theres an update?

BTW its a UK generic Stock ROM, but i Live in Saudi Arabaia, is that problematic?

5. talhaismail

Hey guys, so wanted to know, that if I flash a UK Generic Stock Firmware, even though my phone wasnt from the UK, will it make a difference besides different bloatware? Btw im refering to a GSM unbranded device. Not from a carrier.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Firmware tends to match devices by make and model. Violating that rule can lead anywhere from a mess to clean up or an unrecoverable brick.

I am not sure what you do about an unbranded device. If you mean your Sony, then maybe you mean not carrier branded? If that's the case, stick to roms for your Sony.

Not sure if I am helping here.
  7. talhaismail

Mine isnt carrier branded, and its a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800i, so ii flashd. Uk generic ROM (OS 2.3.4 build number: 4.0.2.A.0.42)

It says in my notification bar that a system update of 4.0.2.A.0.42 is available, even though thts my Buildl. It sasy to update via Pc companion, I tried, but I get the Sony Ericsson server overloaded error :/ any help? Thanks :)
  8. Sam-SonyXperia

Sam-SonyXperia Well-Known Member

I could not answer about the firmware version being the same, however in regards to the server overloaded issue, this is actually caused in most cases by a Java error.

1. Close PC Companion

2. Install java from http://www.java.com/winoffline_installer

3. Start PC Companion again and try to do the SW Update of the phone.
  9. talhaismail

Thanks so much! Will try this and let you know how it went, thanks!!! =D
  10. talhaismail

this didnt work :( still get the same issue, what do i do?
  11. alquistador

alquistador Member

freeze the update file with Titanim backup. It will stop. I had the some problem
  12. Sam-SonyXperia

You may need to uninstall and reinstall PC Companion as the steps above should normally resolve this issue without a problem.
  13. JustSayTech

JustSayTech New Member

the reason its not working is because Sony is re-routing all main links from the sonyericsson.com domain, when PC Companion tries to contact the server by means of a similar url http://dl-www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/xxxxxx.xxx it fails because its then re-routed to the sonymobile website thus leading the program unable to recover the update or even unable to install the other services in the PC Companion window

i believe sony is unaware of this currently and has not provided an alternative option to get the required files, i currently am in need of the Support Zone program, but i cant get it because the domain redirects all request (except for talk.sonyericsson.com idk why) so when my PC Comp attemts to access http://dl-www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/110/61/1309763183/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.7.13.exe it fails out and tells me i have no internet connection (which is false)

yea sony you need to get on that

btw, does any one have a copy of the support zone they could send to me, if you no longer have the install file you can send the uninstall file, they are actually the same thing, just find the location of the uninstall file simply by doing this:

(i am not sure this will work since i never had the support zone before, so idk exactly how it installs but this is one method of getting the file possibly that i could think off the head really quickly, there are definitely better methods)

open control panel and then go to uninstall programs
    select support zone (if you can find it, idk if it shows up here)
    click uninstall (DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING AFTER THIS)
    then right click on the windows taskbar and open Task Manager
    then click the applications tab
    then right click on the support zone uninstall program
    then click show process
    then right click on that process
    then click open file location
    you should then have the location of the install file assuming it didnt piggy back of the win msi or create at temp exe to run the install from

hope this helps for anyone looking for the program (you may also be able to do this with the rest of the PC Comp apps)
  14. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

What exactly does the support program do, updates to firmware? (I don't use PC companion because for the Verizon play, in the past it's been pointless, not sure about now)

If you wanna update/repair firmware, either wotanserver.com or flashtool can be used to update/repair firmware.
    JustSayTech likes this.
  15. JustSayTech

JustSayTech New Member

FlashTool sounds good, but that site charges for unlocks built by people who made the unlocks for free, dont like the sound of that
  16. paxchristos

Wotanserver does paid unlocks, yes, but free firmware flashing
  17. Jotamide

Jotamide Member

Is there a way to fix this without messing too much with the phone? I don't know how to root or flash custom firmware...
  18. JustSayTech

JustSayTech New Member

no fix to the update problem where the software (device or cpu) attempts to pull files from the SE servers, you will have to resort to manual and flashtool will allow you to flash any proper rom, rooted or not... i think
  19. paxchristos

Flashtool (in flash mode) will only flash ftf files, which are created from seus update files. Flashtool (in flash mode) CANNOT be used to flash a custom rom.
  20. Wisenos

Wisenos Well-Known Member

i used wotanserver for both my xperia x10a and r800a
  21. Sam-SonyXperia

Just a heads up regarding some of the information above, the update service link should be working fine now. It would have only been down for a few hours at most - tested and confirmed.