1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General HELP! USB Driver Installed but PC does not read USB

1. valsRT

valsRT Member

I have the Galaxy 551 phone and it doesn't show up as a Removable Device on my laptop or PC. I've checked and drivers are installed and up-to-date but all my phone will do is charge when I plug in the USB.

I hope someone can help!

Advertisement
  2. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

hmmm.
    A.)Try rebooting Phone and try again .
    B.)Un-install and Reinstall KIES and try again
    C.)Close the KIES process in task manager and try again .
    D.)Uninstall KIES and try again
    E.)Remove the drivers manually and let windows update re-install them automatically and try again

If None of them works
    F.)Do a Factory reset of phone and try Again

If that doesnt work
    G.)Reinstall windows and let Windows detect drivers automatically .Dont install KIES in this scenario .

If nothing works ,post again we will try to see what can be done .

it's the windows drivers and KIES at fault . Ironically this was my first question at the forums a year ago .
    valsRT likes this.
  3. valsRT

valsRT Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with rebooting the phone and go from there.
  4. valsRT

valsRT Member

Karandpr, I found out from ArgoDave on this forum that I accidentally had USB Debugging turned on and needed to go to Settings / Applications / Development to turn it off and now USB storage works.
    karandpr likes this.
  5. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

Hmm strange .I had USB debugging ON the entire time but had no problems accessing USB storage at will .
    Good for you it works now :)