Help: Very High Data UsageSupport

Last Updated:

1. s.l.t.creamer

s.l.t.creamer New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Phone: HTC Desire
    Android 2.2
    Network: Orange Switzerland

I was hoping for some help. I bought a HTC desire last week.... after speaking with friends with smart phones (mainly iPhones) I was told a data limit on my contract of 1GB was plenty providing I don't spend all my time streaming video and music.... however I have the NETSENTRY app to monitor usage and last night with auto sync and background data enabled i had a download of about 150MB. This morning I turned off auto sync and back ground data and it still downloading about 1MB every 10-20 minutes... is this normal? The only apps I have set to sync anyway are my google Mail, contacts and calender accounts and facebook. I had previously disabled the other options.

What could be eating this much data... at this rate it won't take long to get past the data limit.

Is there anyway of seeing which apps/services are using all this data?

From what i found on this forum Facebook for HTC Sync could be to blame for as far as I'm aware I don't have this running, and I have the facebook app set to refresh every 4 hours...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Advertisement
  2. jgoods

jgoods Member

I know wit smartphones they eat up data no matter what you do. Here in the states we have unlimited data packages. I would suggest you get one. My droid x has almost used a gig of data with 16 days left in my month and I really don't do too much I get on the browser from time to time but alot of apps use data it would just be a safe bet to get unlimited if that is available where you are.

3. s.l.t.creamer

s.l.t.creamer New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply jgoods... unfortunately unlimited data packages aren't really available here in Switzerland. Obviously the key is to just turn the mobile data link on when I need it... but still 28MB in the last 2 hours seams ridiculously high to say that the only thing I'm aware of doing is syncing with my gmail account.

Cheers,

Stephen

4. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

Go into your gmail app settings and look under labels to check how many days it is set to sync. It could be attempting to download all your emails to your phone.

5. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

Download Traffic Stats from the market.

That will tell you what is using data.